[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] DEC Documentation? Hahaahahahahahahhhhaaaaaaaa

Warning: rampant anti-DEC flame. Respect followups.

In article <VINSCI.91Jun14003452@nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
> Add VMS from Digital to the list. Now the difference with their source
> code is that it is clean and readable.

That would be a nice change from their documentation, AKA the "Orange Wall".
Oh, individual sections are well written, use proper english, are very clear,
and so on... but there's no usable cross-reference, no reference section
worth the name (they seem to think people should be able to use a tutorial
as a reference manual), and so on. Every time I want to do something on the
damned VAXes it's hell finding out what I need. Even something as simple as
a terminal server comes with 3 volumes!

> Something I've not yet heard about CBM's (cf. the code in the RKM's).

On the other hand, the RKMs themselves are excellent *reference* manuals. There
is a lack of decent tutorial material and working examples, but you can find
out what a given function does, how it should be called, and so on without
having to spend hours digging stuff up.

> Of course, here another difference comes
> up, in that VMS is actually *documented*. Nice, very clean
> descriptions of each OS/library function,

This must be in some extra manual not shipped in the standard orange wall,
right?

> and that documentation was written by *technical writers*,

Technical writers are great, but they should spend some time with the people
who actually want to use the manuals instead of blindly following their
design rules.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun17.142942.2952@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes...
>Warning: rampant anti-DEC flame. Respect followups.
>
>That would be a nice change from their documentation, AKA the "Orange Wall".
  Out of date.  Now gray.

>Oh, individual sections are well written, use proper english, are very clear,
>and so on... but there's no usable cross-reference, no reference section
>worth the name (they seem to think people should be able to use a tutorial
>as a reference manual), and so on.
  The _VMS General User's Manual_, order number AA-LA98A-TE, contains both
  tutorial and reference sections, much like the old blue Osborne 1 manual.

>Every time I want to do something on the
>damned VAXes it's hell finding out what I need. Even something as simple as
>a terminal server comes with 3 volumes!
  Not since April.  (hee, hee!)  Read the newspapers...

Please note my affiliation.  Also, no slight intended to Peter Da Silva.
This posting is just to inject a few facts into the discussion.
--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
plouff@kali.enet.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman