[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Overscan in C under 1.3

genoa@athena.mit.edu (Jack N Holt) (06/12/91)

What's the best way to open an overscan screen in C under AmigaDOS 1.3?
I'm writing a simulation of cell growth which will need to be transfered
to videotape, and we want it to look as good as possible...  I'm using
SAS/C 5.10

Your aid will be appreciated

-- Jack

carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun11.223910.16621@athena.mit.edu> genoa@athena.mit.edu (Jack N Holt) writes:

>What's the best way to open an overscan screen in C under AmigaDOS 1.3?
>I'm writing a simulation of cell growth which will need to be transfered
>to videotape, and we want it to look as good as possible...  I'm using
>SAS/C 5.10

We do not support overscan screens under 1.3.

However, if it is for transfer to videotape only, and you don't
care if you have full mouse travel to the right and bottom, then
just adjust your Preferences so the upper leftcorner of the workbench
is as far up/left as you want, and open the overscan size screen you
want.

 Carolyn Scheppner -- Tech. Mgr. CATS - Commodore Amiga Technical Support
 PHONE 215-431-9180 {uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn  carolyn@commodore.com

 I am fully operational and all of my circuits are funcTiOnINg pperrf...

In article <22424@cbmvax.commodore.com> carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.223910.16621@athena.mit.edu> genoa@athena.mit.edu (Jack N Holt) writes:
>>
>>What's the best way to open an overscan screen in C under AmigaDOS 1.3?
>>I'm writing a simulation of cell growth which will need to be transfered
>>to videotape, and we want it to look as good as possible...  I'm using
>>SAS/C 5.10
>
>We do not support overscan screens under 1.3.
>
>However, if it is for transfer to videotape only, and you don't
>care if you have full mouse travel to the right and bottom, then
>just adjust your Preferences so the upper leftcorner of the workbench
>is as far up/left as you want, and open the overscan size screen you
>want.

Peter Cherna (in charge of Intuition) asked me to correct/append
my statement that we do not support overscan screens under 1.3.

The 1.3 OS does not provide full support for overscan screens.

However, besides the solution I listed above (which I feel is safe
and perfectly suitable for the stated application), there is is also
Jim Mackraz's 1988 Devcon article/example on Overscan where Jim provides
some more complex but relatively safe methods for creating and using
overscan screens under 1.3 with full mouse travel.

 Carolyn Scheppner -- Tech. Mgr. CATS - Commodore Amiga Technical Support
 PHONE 215-431-9180 {uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn  carolyn@commodore.com

 Programmers do it a little bit better.

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/16/91)

In article <22424@cbmvax.commodore.com> carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.223910.16621@athena.mit.edu> genoa@athena.mit.edu (Jack N Holt) writes:
>>
>>What's the best way to open an overscan screen in C under AmigaDOS 1.3?
>>I'm writing a simulation of cell growth which will need to be transfered
>>to videotape, and we want it to look as good as possible...  I'm using
>>SAS/C 5.10
>
>We do not support overscan screens under 1.3.
>
>However, if it is for transfer to videotape only, and you don't
>care if you have full mouse travel to the right and bottom, then
>just adjust your Preferences so the upper leftcorner of the workbench
>is as far up/left as you want, and open the overscan size screen you
>want.
>
>--
> Carolyn Scheppner -- Tech. Mgr. CATS - Commodore Amiga Technical Support
> PHONE 215-431-9180 {uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn  carolyn@commodore.com
>
> I am fully operational and all of my circuits are funcTiOnINg pperrf...

If you request a 352x240 screen from intuition, it gives you overscan under 1.3.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (06/20/91)

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

>If you request a 352x240 screen from intuition, it gives you overscan under 1.3.

Yes, however you will have to adjust the screen offset so that your overscan
screen is in the right place.  I have not decided what I like best, messing
with preferences settings, or messing around with the layers ViewPort
structure (VP->DyOffset and VP->DxOffset) and then calling RethinkDisplay()
or the equivilant. (That manual is it home, the rest of this is from *old*
RKM Vol 1, so if it is wrong, forgive me.  The concept is right I believe).

Currently I am leaning toward messing with the ViewPort structure, as it
seems to be the easiest.  I've not had to deal with this yet.

brian moffet
--
O Fortuna - velut luna - statu variabilis - semper crescis - aut decrescis
   vita detestabilis - nunc obdurat - et tunc curat - ludo mentis aciem