[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Another Amiga reorganization needed?

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>> Before going public, why not chat in the Amiga
>> groups for a bit about doing something about
>> c.s.a.programmer, which is still _much_ too big.
>> Does any clever soul see a reasonably clean
>> partitioning of the current traffic?

> This is not reasonable,

I'll say!  ;-)

> but how about:

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.applications

> Discussions about programmer related applications:
> editors, compilers etc. Questions like: "Which
> C-compiler/assembler is the best?" should go here.
> Reports of bugs found in compilers should be
> posted here, too (preferably, they should be sent
> to the technical support people of the product).
> Perhaps discussion on technical documentation
> (like the RKMs) could go on here.

Let's try c.s.a.p.tools, c.s.a.docs; might as well
break it into digestable bits.

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.programming

> Real programming related discussion goes on here.
> Things like: "How do I do X?" etc. A terrible
> group name, though.

c.s.a.p.methods, or c.s.a.p.assist, perhaps?

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.asm

> Assembly related programming. There currently
> seems to be quite a lot of people who would read
> this group. Those of us (me, for example) who
> don't know a LEA from a CMP could unsubscribe to
> it without regrets.

Well, if we go language oriented, we need to cope
with C, Modula-2, Fortran, Lisp/Scheme/Xlisp, Draco,
AmigaBASIC, AREXX, and probably several other popular
Amiga languages that don't come to mind immediately.

I don't terribly much mind doing this for assembly,
which seems to be a bit of a special case, but the
other less popular languages would work better as
mailing lists, like the current fairly low traffic
but high value
m2 mailing list.  In fact, I'd like to see proponents
of the Lisp family, Draco users, and Fortran users
get mailing lists set up and the mail servers posted
with the comp.sys.amiga.introduction FAQ and the big
list published for all of Usenet as well.  Any users
of those languages with capability to put up a mail
server, drop me a line and I'll put you in touch with
the m2 list maintainer.  It might be fun to have a
c.s.a.p.langs and a one way echo from the mail lists
to the group so those who care to could follow the
traffic, but it would stay sorted out for the list
users.

AmigaBASIC is a bit of a puzzle; it is worthless for
the A3000 due to "yet another Microsoft programming
design blunder(tm)", but there is a lot of code
around and probably lots of people still using it,
though the traffic about it is minor; for now, say a
mailing list if anyone cares to, and toss it in with
the other low use languages.  Ditto ABASIC, only more
so.

AREXX is another special case, and probably deserves
a group of its own, too.

> And my favourite:
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.I.don't.know.where.to.p-
> ost.so.I'll.post.here.dammit

I like it, I like it; the special characters might
be a bit of a problem, but ...

> Questions like: "Is there a program which does
> X?", "Program X does Y, I want it to do Z.
> HELP!!!!", "Program X gurues. HELP!!!". A group
> for people who think that if a question concerns a
> program, it is related to programming.

The c.s.a.introduction group is supposed to do this;
it needs to get used more.  Start redirecting the
posters of this kind of questions there (in EMAIL, for
Klortho's sake!)

> Nah, it would never work. The current size of
> c.s.a.programmer is a bit too much for me, though.
> Perhaps I should begin applying KILL files to this
> group, too.

That also works, but you miss a lot that casually
mentions what your are trying to avoid in a posting
you'd really like to read. I find making an
anti-KILL file works better; put in all the folks
you like to follow, mark their stuff saved for
later, kill all the rest, and then yank the marked
stuff forward to read. If you use trn (or perhaps
nn), you can read progenitor articles even if you've
killed them if the answers look interesting. Of
course, per Kant's Categorical Imperative, it's
worth noting that this fails miserably if everyone
does it.

Well, the lack of response almost made me give up on
this whole concept of another reorganization, but my
two weeks of cat sitting that's kept me off the net
a lot is up tomorrow, and you've started things off,
so I'll try a little harder.  I'd still like to talk
about this stuff in c.s.a.advocacy, but I am reminded
most of the readership avoids that group like the
plague, so let's crosspost to .misc and .programmer a
bit until we get chased out, to try to draw a crowd.

In my never ending quest to keep the c.s.a.* hierarchy
flat, looking back over this, how about these for a
starting set of names to pick apart?

        c.s.a.prog-advice (or prog-methods)
        c.s.a.prog-asm
        c.s.a.prog-arexx (or just let comp.lang.rexx
                          carry the amiga stuff, too)
        c.s.a.prog-langs (and/or prog-misc)
        c.s.a.prog-docs
        c.s.a.prog-system (and/or prog-scripts)
(or     c.s.a.system, Dan's proposal, though I like to
                      think of this as programming too)
        c.s.a.prog-tools

That gives seven to nine groups, about the right
number of chunks to make the current traffic
bearable; are those groups such that some people
would not at all read some of them (the goal of a
split, of course), or does that just subdivide
without removing the need to follow all subgroups, a
fairly worthless exercise?

I'd even add a c.s.a.prog-intro, if necessary.

While I'm doing this, let's pull the idea of
chopping up c.s.a.hardware back into the fire and
the crosspost list, too. Last time, I proposed a
.design, .standard, .3rd-party, and .hackers
subdivision; this gets uglier, 'cause "hardware"
doesn't have a pretty abbreviation, but how about
these as flat subdivision names?

        c.s.a.hdwr-design
        c.s.a.hdwr-standard  (or hdwr-stock)
        c.s.a.hdwr-3rd-party (whew, just made 14 characters)
        c.s.a.hdwr-hacking

Again, vanilla questions about connecting a disk
driver and hard disk and drive software together
belong in c.s.a.introduction, not .hardware or its
proposed replacements, but it will take some firm
guidance (in EMAIL) to make that happen.

What have I missed here or done wrong, or are the
solder freaks happy with things as is despite the
volume?

Any stuff still left in c.s.a.misc that constitutes
enough traffic to deserve a home of its own, and
isn't just missing its proper group now? Besides
comp.sys.amiga.paging.dave.haynie.help.help.help,
I mean?  [Sorry, Dave, couldn't resist.]

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.
Here we go again.

c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun16.014324.532@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> In my never ending quest to keep the c.s.a.* hierarchy
> flat, looking back over this, how about these for a
> starting set of names to pick apart?
>
>         c.s.a.prog-advice (or prog-methods)

Hmmm.  Sounds like Dear Abby.   I think methods would be better.  Not all
implimentation issues are questions.

>         c.s.a.prog-asm
>         c.s.a.prog-arexx (or just let comp.lang.rexx
>                           carry the amiga stuff, too)
How about comp.sys.amiga.programmer.script? (or suitable mutation)  That
would cover Arexx, AmigaDOS scripts, and even catch things like Sksh and
Csh.

>         c.s.a.prog-langs (and/or prog-misc)

I would put that under tools.  A compiler or interpreter is a programmer
tool.  Amiga specific issues would concern the Amiga compilers.  Any topics
that are truly about the langauge itself should go into the proper group
under comp.lang.*

>         c.s.a.prog-docs

Eh?  Are we talking about errors in the RKM's or what?

>         c.s.a.prog-system (and/or prog-scripts)

Hmmm.  When I think of systems programming I don't think of scripts.
Unlike Unix we don't have people hacking the AmigaOS kernel so I don't
think this will get much traffic.

> (or     c.s.a.system, Dan's proposal, though I like to
>                       think of this as programming too)

I think comp.sys.amiga.system can stand by itself.  Especially with the
advent of 2.0 there are a lot of system issues that do not deal with
programming.

Eric Edwards:  c506634 @  "I say we take off and nuke the entire site
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu  from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet      -- Sigourney Weaver, _Aliens_
Rnews

xanthian@zorch.sf-bay.org (Kent Paul Dolan) wrote:

> Well, if we go language oriented, we need to cope
> with C, Modula-2, Fortran, Lisp/Scheme/Xlisp,
> Draco, AmigaBASIC, AREXX, and probably several
> other popular Amiga languages that don't come to
> mind immediately.

I left out C++; imminent brain death detected.

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) wrote:

> How about
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.{asm,arexx,c,misc}? That
> covers the big three, and leaves a place for
> everything else. I would have included m2, but you
> said that the mail list isn't very active, and I
> don't know how it compares to the various basics.

Only real problem I have with "by language" split is
that you'd probably divide the traffic 10-5-80-5,
and 80% of comp.sys.amiga.programmer is still too
damn big.

I'm still looking for a good breakdown; I don't much
like mine, or any I've seen yet either; on the other
hand, I like some of the stuff proposed for .hardware
quite a bit.  I need more help for ways to filter off
stuff for .misc that is big enough to constitute a
separate focus of traffic, but isn't just misplaced
for a group that already exists.

I'd be happy with even a four way split for
c.s.a.programmer, but only if the smallest part of
the split was 20% or more; anyone have any ideas or
willing to do a subject analysis?  What I'd _really_
like is a set of "get this stuff out of my face"
proposals like the c.s.a.p.asm one Kari gave above,
for substantial chunks of traffic folks would rather
not read.

While it's on my mind, is there any support for
trying to move alt.sys.amiga.uucp{,patches} into the
mainstream hierarchy, or is the alt distribution
sufficient for such a narrow focus?

After being scolded twice in email, I'll concede
that c.s.a.prog-* and c.s.a.hdwr-* are ugly enough
names that c.s.a.programm{er,ing}.* and
c.s.a.hardware.* should be the choices, and I'll
concede defeat on trying to keep c.s.a.* a flat
hierarchy.

Also, Peter da Silva would like to pull the Amiga
futures discussion out of .advocacy, where it drowns
in 90% or so flames; I'm willing to do it iff the
group is moderated; otherwise the flames will just
follow the discussion. Peter says two kids and work
overload keep him unavailable; any volunteers to
moderate c.s.a.futures if we make one? Mike, if
you're back from Usenix, do you still want a group
of your own?

Another fairly coherent proposal received in email
[heavily edited and mildly commented:]

Darren Ewaniuk <ewaniu@ee.ualberta.ca> wrote:

[about my hardware split:]

> In my opinion (I'm an EE specializing in hardware
> design) these splits aren't logical at all.
> c.s.a.h.design is about the only logical split
> from this, and there is low traffic on this. And
> imagine the strain that poor Dave Haynie would be
> under, as he'd practically be running this group!
> c.s.a.problems would remove the need for your
> 3rd-party and standard groups.

> About the best split here would be to split off
> the problems section (My brand x HD controller
> won't work with rev y.y motherboard with brand z
> memory board. What can I do?) into c.s.a.problems
> or c.s.a.h.problems (although I prefer
> c.s.a.problems)

Actually, I like this a lot; a split into
comp.sys.amiga.hardware.{misc,problems} would
probably be close to 50-50, and might be "good
enough" folks seeking (or willing to offer) help
could be one place, folks just chatting about
hardware issues in the other, and this may well
provide two groups that can mostly ignore
one another.

> In short, my proposals are:

> New groups:

> comp.sys.amiga.problems             - catch all for hardware and otherwise
> -or-                                  generic software problems.
> comp.sys.amiga.hardware.problems    - If you only want hardware problems.

I much prefer the second; see below.

> comp.sys.amiga.system               - Good idea for kickstart/WB/system
>                                       discussion.

> Split from comp.sys.amiga.programmer:

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.c         - C specific discussion.
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.asm       - Assembly specific discussion.
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.problems  - Programming problems with system
>                                       routines or other languages.

This strongly suggests c.s.a.hardware.problems, just
to keep it from getting filled with "miscellaneous"
problems by folks who don't notice the
c.s.a.programmer.problems group.

> Keep comp.sys.amiga.hardware and
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer intact.

Sort of; they'll both end up with .misc tags for
reasons of net neatness.

> These will still be the 'catch all' type of
> groups, but will have their volume cut a bit by
> splitting off some identifiable traffic into
> comp.sys.amiga.problems,
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.problems,
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.c, and
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.asm.

I'm still worried about the size of the .c portion,
but let's hear what other people think.

> [permission granted to summarize and post if any
> of these make sense]

Enough to be worth presenting publically. Any input
on what to do with C++? Quite a bit of traffic now,
likely to grow fast, as it is a popular language,
and we finally have an up-to-date implementation
available.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.092655.12436@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>and 80% of comp.sys.amiga.programmer is still too damn big.

	Personally, I find the number of postings to be just fine.  How big
is "too big"?  3 posts a day?  30?  300?

	If you must break up .programmer, how about:

		 c.s.a.programmer.novice	For beginner questions
		 c.s.a.programmer.wizards	For really in depth stuff
		 c.s.a.programmer.misc		For everything else

>any volunteers to moderate c.s.a.futures if we make one?

	I didn't like this name back before the reorganization, and I still
don't like it.  What's it mean?  "Futures" makes me think of "pork futures"
or some such money-related stuff.
	If people want to talk about Commodore's future, how about
comp.sys.amiga.speculation, or even comp.sys.amiga.thefuture?

	c.s.a.hardware.problems does sound really good, though.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (06/20/91)

    When this gets serious enough to put to a vote, it might be a good time
    to move the two AmigaUUCP groups into comp:

	alt.sys.amiga.uucp	    ->	comp.sys.amiga.uucp
	alt.sys.amiga.uucp.patches  ->	comp.sys.amiga.uucp.patches

    Currently, these two groups are in alt and dedicated to discussion of
    AmigaUUCP (.uucp) and for related source/script/binary postings
    (.uucp.patches).

    As I said, when things get serious.  Right now I am quite comfortable
    with them where they are now and I am very happy that I did not try to
    meld them into some other existing group (.datacomm was suggested but,
    frankly, it would only make the mix into major confusion).

    Noise goes way down when the topic is well defined.  Apart from one
    poor guy who decided to use my group as a teseting group for fooling
    with control messages on world wide distribution and bringing down both
    european network gateways for a day or two, it has been smooth running.

    Considering the direction the USENET is going in terms of news a
    considerable breakup will probably occur sometime in the near future,
    with appropriate new news-readers to deal with it.	There is simply
    going to be too much traffic in each group.

					    -Matt
--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon