[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Need help deleting a bogus file

sjk@aura.nbn.com (Scott J. Kramer) (06/21/91)

This morning, my A3000 hung while running the CNews `expire' program.
I rebooted with the "drive busy" light on.  After getting past a
"Work0: Disk not validated" error, I wound up with 2 directory entries
for a "history.pag" file; `list' showed 2 files with the same name
with different datestamps.  I was able to copy the "real" file and
delete it, but am still left with this bogus file:

    AmiShell> list Control.BAD
    Directory "Work0:Spool/CNews/Control.BAD" on Thursday 20-Jun-91
    history.pag               126268 ----rwed Today     03:43:28
    1 file - 251 blocks used
    AmiShell> delete Control.BAD/history.pag
    No file to delete
    AmiShell> type Control.BAD/history.pag hex
    TYPE can't open Control.BAD/history.pag
    No files to type

Is there any way of getting rid of this without reformatting the
partition?

Please email responses.  Thanks for any help with this!
--

Scott J. Kramer			UUCP:	   {sun,ucbvax}!pixar!aura!sjk

sjk@pixar.com (Scott J. Kramer) (06/21/91)

[...]

P.O. Box 3392			Internet:  sjk@aura.nbn.com
San Rafael, CA  94912

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/23/91)

In article <SJK.91Jun20194742@cherry.pixar.com> sjk@aura.nbn.com writes:
>This morning, my A3000 hung while running the CNews `expire' program.
>I rebooted with the "drive busy" light on.  After getting past a
>"Work0: Disk not validated" error, I wound up with 2 directory entries
>for a "history.pag" file; `list' showed 2 files with the same name
>with different datestamps.  I was able to copy the "real" file and
>delete it, but am still left with this bogus file:
>
>    AmiShell> list Control.BAD
>    Directory "Work0:Spool/CNews/Control.BAD" on Thursday 20-Jun-91
>    history.pag               126268 ----rwed Today     03:43:28
>    1 file - 251 blocks used
>    AmiShell> delete Control.BAD/history.pag
>    No file to delete
>    AmiShell> type Control.BAD/history.pag hex
>    TYPE can't open Control.BAD/history.pag
>    No files to type

 Maybe there is a control code or something in the filename which you cannot
see but the OS can. Try the following

list >pipe:a work0:spool/cnews/control.bad/#? lformat="delete %s%s" <RETURN>
execute pipe:a <RETURN>

 This will create a pipe file which contains "delete history.pag", assuming it
is the only file in the directory control.bad. Executing the pipe file should
delete the file.

>Please email responses.  Thanks for any help with this!

 I would have emailed but my mail seems to be bouncing back on me.

--
Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.