[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] How to check stack in SAS/C 5.10?

dg@sundog.caltech.edu (DALE GARY) (06/18/91)

In the SAS/C docs, a new feature of 5.10 is the ability to have your program
allocate a new stack if it is invoked with a smaller stack than the minimum
set at compile time.  However, all I could find about this in the docs is a
mention in the Preface, saying you can "specify a minimum stack size by
initializing the stack variable at compile time."  What does this mean?  What
is "the stack variable"?  Is it an environment variable?  What are the units--
bytes or kbytes?  Is this further documented elsewhere in the manual?

Please e-mail if possible.  Thanks.

Dale E. Gary
dg@sundog.caltech.edu

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (06/19/91)

> set at compile time.  However, all I could find about this in the docs is a
> mention in the Preface, saying you can "specify a minimum stack size by
> initializing the stack variable at compile time."  What does this mean?  What
> is "the stack variable"?  Is it an environment variable?  What are the units--
> bytes or kbytes?  Is this further documented elsewhere in the manual?

It is a C variable, and the units are bytes.  However, it works if you
link with c.o, but not with cres.o.

   - steve

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (06/23/91)

In article <37100010@hpfcdc.HP.COM> koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:
>> set at compile time.  However, all I could find about this in the docs is a
>> mention in the Preface, saying you can "specify a minimum stack size by
>> initializing the stack variable at compile time."  What does this mean?  What
>> is "the stack variable"?  Is it an environment variable?  What are the units--
>> bytes or kbytes?  Is this further documented elsewhere in the manual?
>
>It is a C variable, and the units are bytes.  However, it works if you
>link with c.o, but not with cres.o.

So what's it called? I can't tell from my manual if it is called
_stack or __stack. In any case, I've never been able to get the darn
thing to work!

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |