[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] AmigaBasic to binary file

A_ASENCIO@upr1.upr.clu.edu (Hard Bytes Amiga User Group) (06/24/91)

Jim Harmon <harmon@function.mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>I have a question about amiga basic. I downloaded a binary file from a local
>bbs that included the source which was written Amiga Basic. I ran the source
>file in Amiga Basic and it was considerable slower as I exepected. Is there
>a utility to convert Amiga Basic file to a binary file? How was this
>accomplished?

>thanks,
>Jim Harmon
>harmon@mps.ohio-state.edu

I'm also interested in this program if exist, anybody know where can be
get?

Thanks,

Angel//
   \X/

      Angel Asencio//               Computer Engineering Student
                 \X/                University of Puerto Rico
802360644%rumac%upr1.upr.clu.edu    Mayaguez Campus
A_ASENCIO%upr1.upr.clu.edu
a_asencio@upr2.clu.net
vexevius@rmece02.upr.clu.edu
  ******* Amiga, it's not just a computer, it's THE COMPUTER *******

In article <57013@nigel.ee.udel.edu> A_ASENCIO@upr1.upr.clu.edu (Hard Bytes Amiga User Group) writes:
>Jim Harmon <harmon@function.mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
>>I have a question about amiga basic. I downloaded a binary file from a local
>>bbs that included the source which was written Amiga Basic. I ran the source
>>file in Amiga Basic and it was considerable slower as I exepected. Is there
>>a utility to convert Amiga Basic file to a binary file? How was this
>>accomplished?
>
>I'm also interested in this program if exist, anybody know where can be
>get?

These programs are normally called "Compiler". There are at least two
available that are directly compatible with plain AmigaBasic sources
(well, except really minor changes you perhaps must apply, such as
stuffing all your SUBs at the end of the code): AC/Basic by Absoft and
HiSoft Basic (don't know originator). They are cute, but still have
their incompatibilities and glitches (mildly speaking: AC/Basic
succeded to trash two of my harddisks in only one day:-( ).
There are other Basic compilers that are a little more off the language
standard set by AmigaBasic: GFA-Basic, AMOS, True Basic,... (I'm sure
I forgot some important one).
These compilers are all commercial, they cost some $$$.
I only know about one PD compiler on Fish disks, but it has only very
limited capabilities, e.g. it understands only a little subset of the
AmigaBasic commands. (Sorry, don't have full name or Fish disk no. at
hand.)

GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) (06/26/91)

"A_ASENCIO@upr1.upr.clu.edu" writes:

>Jim Harmon <harmon@function.mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>I have a question about amiga basic. I downloaded a binary file from a local
>>bbs that included the source which was written Amiga Basic. I ran the source
>>file in Amiga Basic and it was considerable slower as I exepected. Is there
>>a utility to convert Amiga Basic file to a binary file? How was this
>>accomplished?

>I'm also interested in this program if exist, anybody know where can be
>get?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Angel//

 Pardon my ignorance, but a "utility to convert Amiga Basic file to a binary
file" is not a compiler?? If this is what are you looking for, try Cursor 1.0.
It is on ff 347 and work so so (some limitations).
 If there is another way to transform a basic program in a binary executable,
well let me know!!! :-)

* Gelson Dias Santos  *  Bitnet/Internet: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  *
* Porto Alegre - RS   *  Sorry, english is not my native language!  *
*       BRAZIL        *           (Alguem fala portugues?)          *
*  Should be working on my taxes but this is more fun... Fred Fish  *