[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Rotating Logo Stuff

specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) (06/25/91)

I have been wanting to fool around with moving and manipulating dots within a
3-d environment. I haven't read anything about graphics routines of this
sort yet, but started out with the idea of using sin and cos to rotate the
dots around a y axis. I assume that the dots are a constant distance from the
center and then just change the angle they are on the circle that a dot would
create when circling an axis.

This just doesn't seem right and I know it can't be the best way of doing it.
Surely there is a good book on this topic? Does anyone know of any really
good book that is tailored to that amiga?

Byron

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.074709.4156@disk.uucp>, specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
> I have been wanting to fool around with moving and manipulating dots within a
> 3-d environment. I haven't read anything about graphics routines of this
> sort yet, but started out with the idea of using sin and cos to rotate the
> dots around a y axis. I assume that the dots are a constant distance from the
> center and then just change the angle they are on the circle that a dot would
> create when circling an axis.
>
> This just doesn't seem right and I know it can't be the best way of doing it.
> Surely there is a good book on this topic? Does anyone know of any really
> good book that is tailored to that amiga?

  I am unsure as to any specific titles, but I am sure a visit to any
reputable technical book store will yield something useful.

  I've seen a friends copy of Manx C and this came with 3D routines and
a complement of source code, so perhaps you might also try this.

  Vector graphics on any computer is no minor mathematical task and
requires some trickiness on behalf of the user, requiring more detail
than I can afford to provide.

> Byron

Alex Krooglik						krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ.AU
			Chemical Engineering 1991

carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) (06/28/91)

>In article <1991Jun25.074709.4156@disk.uucp>, specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>> I have been wanting to fool around with moving and manipulating dots within a
>> 3-d environment....
>> Surely there is a good book on this topic? Does anyone know of any really
>> good book that is tailored to that amiga?

My absolute favorite computer graphics book is

	Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics

Unfortunately, it is on long term loan again (first Steve B., then
Dave B., then David J....) so I can't give you publisher or ISBN#.
But any bookstore should be able to look it up and order it for you.

It has a little bit of everything with relatively easy-to-understand
pseudocode for everything.

It covers algorithms for line drawing, fills, dithering, rotation,
hidden-line removal, shading/tracing, and color conversions.

 Carolyn Scheppner -- Tech. Mgr. CATS - Commodore Amiga Technical Support
 PHONE 215-431-9180 {uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn  carolyn@commodore.com

 Integer math - it's all so pointless.