[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Notification

	One feature I hadn't heard mentioned about 2.0 was
notification. In fact, I didn't notice it until I saw it
mentioned in the Style Guide. This is (I believe) very similar to
the 7.0 "IPC". Your program can ask to be notified whenever a
certain file is modified.
	Now we need software to USE this feature! 8-)
	-- Ethan

FF buckets of bits on the bus,	FF buckets of bits.
Take one down,			Short it to ground,
FE buckets of bits on the bus.

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.071432.26557@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	One feature I hadn't heard mentioned about 2.0 was
>notification. In fact, I didn't notice it until I saw it
>mentioned in the Style Guide. This is (I believe) very similar to
>the 7.0 "IPC". Your program can ask to be notified whenever a
>certain file is modified.
>	Now we need software to USE this feature! 8-)
>	-- Ethan
>
>FF buckets of bits on the bus,	FF buckets of bits.
>Take one down,			Short it to ground,
>FE buckets of bits on the bus.

	If you ask a file system to tell you via notification when a certain
directory is modified (that is whenever a file or directory beneath it is
changed), can you determine which file or directory the notification concerns?
Unfortunately, the file's date stamp does not reflect the last time the file
was accessed, just modified.

thanks - jeff

smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steven M. Palm) (06/28/91)

In <1991Jun26.071432.26557@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	One feature I hadn't heard mentioned about 2.0 was
>notification. In fact, I didn't notice it until I saw it
>mentioned in the Style Guide. This is (I believe) very similar to
>the 7.0 "IPC". Your program can ask to be notified whenever a
>certain file is modified.

Is there any sort of equivalent to the Macintosh 'links'?   I think it's
neat how you can link a graph in a spreadsheet to a word processing document,
and have it automagically updated....

Perhaps using filelinks to a saved graph, updated by the spreadsheet and then
using file notification to tell the word processor if the file is changed while
it's running?

Does anyone know how the Mac does this?

--
| Fido: 1:154/600  |  myamiga!smp@fps.mcw.edu |  rutgers!uwm!fps!myamiga!smp |