[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] MSDOS Floppy format?

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.bc.ca (Harvey Taylor) (06/27/91)

    Does anybody know anything about the disk structures of MSDOS disks?
 I am writing an AutoDiskChange type utility for SCSI floppies and I
 need to be able to recognize MSDOS disks.
    Determining AmigaDOS disks is no problem. Block zero is full of:

(Addr)    (Hex)                                (Ascii)
00366624  444F5301 444F5301 444F5301 444F5301  DOS.DOS.DOS.DOS.

    So far, the MSDOS disks I have looked at all start out:

0038CFAC  EB349043 444D2020 332E3200 02020100  .4.CDM  3.2.....

    Is this a fluke?
    Anybody got a pointer to a succinct description of MSDOS file formats?
    -het

 "People in North America are so affluent and so unhappy,
  it seems all out of whack." -Heather Lockely [African volunteer teacher]

    Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
    uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.bc.ca

s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/29/91)

In article <6524@mindlink.bc.ca> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.bc.ca (Harvey Taylor) writes:

>    Does anybody know anything about the disk structures of MSDOS disks?
> I am writing an AutoDiskChange type utility for SCSI floppies and I
> need to be able to recognize MSDOS disks.
>
>0038CFAC  EB349043 444D2020 332E3200 02020100  .4.CDM  3.2.....
>
>    Is this a fluke?
>    Anybody got a pointer to a succinct description of MSDOS file formats?

They tend to be of that form, the CDM could be IBM or something else, though
The 3.2 is for MS-DOS 3.2, the version of msdos used to format it.
The info I have on the MSDOS formats is from the MESSYDOS device/filesystem
drivers. The man files for these have some info on it, look at the source
too, quite interesting. Find it at ab20 I think, as well as other places.

>    -het
>
> "People in North America are so affluent and so unhappy,
>  it seems all out of whack." -Heather Lockely [African volunteer teacher]
Because they, like most of us (me too, though I am aware of it to a degree)
haven't got it thru their thick skulls that affluence/possessions does not
equal happiness/security and so lust after more to try to satisfy the
security urge.
I piece of philosophy by me (modest aren't ya ;-) )

- Murray