[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] What source would you want?

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/28/91)

Me, I'd like the source to the 2.0 console.device, so I could add a scrollbar
and ANSI-style escape sequences to set up menus/title bar/etc.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.222155.416@Sugar.NeoSoft.com> peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Me, I'd like the source to the 2.0 console.device, so I could add a scrollbar
>and ANSI-style escape sequences to set up menus/title bar/etc.

Here here!  Here here!

Whistles, little bits of paper thrown in air, dragging out New Year's Eve
paraphernalia (sp?).

Although, I would have thought you'd want menus/title bars in the shell?
Hmmm...  They should be added by esc sequences, but run by the shell, yes?

Me, I'd love to drudge through intuition's menu code and try a boopsi'ish
integration....

Hmmm.  Has notification been added to scsi.device and trackdisk.device?
Maybe Matt D. would like to tackle an nfsd too...

And, and, I bet Mike S. wouldn't mind a swat at gfx.library...

And, and, and...  Drat, I'm dreaming again aren't I?

I swear, it's those 2.0 steroids.

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus

darren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.222155.416@Sugar.NeoSoft.com> peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Me, I'd like the source to the 2.0 console.device, so I could add a scrollbar
>and ANSI-style escape sequences to set up menus/title bar/etc.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
>                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

You can do this now Peter, without the source.  The window belongs
to the application, not console.device, and the place to store
an arbitrary number of lines of data is in the application.  In
other words, storing a history of an arbitrary number of lines
can (and should) be done in the console-handler (p.s. - this is
still a considerable amount of work, but its much easier to manage
within the handler).

re: Ansi-Style escape sequence for menus, title bars, etc ...

While theoretically doable, once again it can (and should) be done
within the handler (you already have a pointer to your window, and
the window gadgets, borders, etc., are yours - the device only owns
the rectangle within the window in which text is rendered).

Darren M. Greenwald | Commodore-Amiga Software Engineering
                    | USENET: uunet!cbmvax!darren
Quote: "It would be impossible to discuss the subject without
        a common frame of reference." - Spock

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.222155.416@Sugar.NeoSoft.com> peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Me, I'd like the source to the 2.0 console.device, so I could add a scrollbar
>and ANSI-style escape sequences to set up menus/title bar/etc.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
>                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

And please add jump-scrolling while you are at it :^)

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/30/91)

In article <14328@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
> Although, I would have thought you'd want menus/title bars in the shell?

No. In the console device so *all* programs can use it.

> Hmmm...  They should be added by esc sequences, but run by the shell, yes?

By the shell, terminal programs, editors, anything else that wants to do
stuff like that but a full intuition interface isn't called for or convenient
(say, ports of UNIX software).

> I swear, it's those 2.0 steroids.

Watch it, they can be dangerous in high doses.
--

In article <22776@cbmvax.commodore.com> darren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald) writes:
> You can do this now Peter, without the source.  The window belongs
> to the application, not console.device, and the place to store
> an arbitrary number of lines of data is in the application.  In
> other words, storing a history of an arbitrary number of lines
> can (and should) be done in the console-handler (p.s. - this is
> still a considerable amount of work, but its much easier to manage
> within the handler).

Picking nits, here.  OK, I'd like the source to the 2.0 console-handler.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (07/01/91)

  I always wanted termcap entries to be added to the console.device.
This way I could open a console.device using different termcaps for
vt100, ansi, etc. The CON: handler should look at $TERMCAP for
which map to use to open the console.device and it should also take
a termcap arguement in the open string.

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|