[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Intuition loops thru screens

jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (06/30/91)

I writing a program that draws to the RastPort of a screen without opening
a window.  My question is, how do I get intuition events?  I am trying to
be able to read keypresses using the RAWKEY IDCMP flag.

If there is no way to do this, what approach should I take?

---
jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu		Neophyte C programmer, Expert beer drinker!

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (07/01/91)

In article <2954@pdxgate.UUCP> jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) writes:
>I writing a program that draws to the RastPort of a screen without opening
>a window.  My question is, how do I get intuition events?  I am trying to
>be able to read keypresses using the RAWKEY IDCMP flag.
>
>If there is no way to do this, what approach should I take?
>
>---
>jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu		Neophyte C programmer, Expert beer drinker!

Try opening a borderless window the size of the screen (use simperefresh).  You can
stil render into the screen bitplanes as you are, and you can get IDCMP messages
from the window.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (07/01/91)

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

>In article <2954@pdxgate.UUCP> jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) writes:
>>I writing a program that draws to the RastPort of a screen without opening
>>a window.  My question is, how do I get intuition events?  I am trying to
>>be able to read keypresses using the RAWKEY IDCMP flag.
>>
>>If there is no way to do this, what approach should I take?
>>
>>---
>>jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu		Neophyte C programmer, Expert beer drinker!

>Try opening a borderless window the size of the screen (use simperefresh).  You can
>stil render into the screen bitplanes as you are, and you can get IDCMP messages
>from the window.

Does this slow down the rendering process any?  The reason I wanted to go
directly to the screen is that I thought it would be faster.

  Which brings me to yet another question...

What is the absolute fastest (and legal) way to open up a screen
and draw to it?  Am I on the right track by using Intuition, or should
I start looking elsewhere?  I figure it wouldn't hurt to let Intuition SET UP
this stuff for me and then I could possibly render directly into the bitplanes
(since I own them, right?).

By the way, I'm using C.