[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Kickstart 2.04 upgrade available?

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (01/10/91)

Last night at the First Amiga User's Group meeting in Palo Alto, an official
Amiga developer announced (in response to a question) that Commodore had
released Kickstart 2.04.  He said that developers and A3000 owners could get
it, but it could only be ordered through CATS.  Now, as an A3000 owner but
isn't a developer, I'd like to know:
 1) Is this upgrade is available to the ordinary A3000 owner?
 2) If so, do I have to order through CATS, or will it eventually show up
    at my dealer?
 3) If it won't be sent to dealers, why not?

Thanks.

--
Dave Schreiber                                    davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu
                                or (but not both) davids@ucscb.ucsc.edu

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (01/10/91)

In article <10819@darkstar.ucsc.edu> davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:

>Last night at the First Amiga User's Group meeting in Palo Alto, an official
>Amiga developer announced (in response to a question) that Commodore had
>released Kickstart 2.04.  He said that developers and A3000 owners could get
>it, but it could only be ordered through CATS.

The developer is mistaken.  The most recent release of Kickstart that
is available to the public is Kickstart 2.02, which bears a version
number of 36.207.

Naturally, we are continuing development of Kickstart software, so you
should never be surprised to learn that some developer has something
that seems more recent than what has last been made available to you.

You would be well advised to steer clear of any such beta software, since
the developers undertake certain risks and agreements that they
are expected to understand.  As an end-user, you are not party to
such agreements.  As well, it is not appropriate that you should take
such risks (we give out beta software to find bugs - we only ship
to customers when the software is in a sufficiently satisfactory state).

At such a time as a release of Kickstart greater than 2.02 will be
available to the public, you will be able to learn about it through
many different channels.  The availability of new Kickstarts is broadly
announced.  Usenet readers were among the first to learn of the
availability of the 2.02 Kickstart.

>Dave Schreiber                                    davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

aelric@itsgw.rpi.edu (John S Schroder) (01/13/91)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:

>The developer is mistaken.  The most recent release of Kickstart that
>is available to the public is Kickstart 2.02, which bears a version
>number of 36.207.

  This may in fact be true but why is then impossible for me, an Amiga 3000
owner to get Kickstart 2.02??  My local dealer (Lathem, NY) has contacted
Commodore but they still have only v2.01.  It seems there is something
greatly wrong with the way Commodore is handling upgrades (if in fact they
will be doing so).

>     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
>     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

   Just another example of Commdores Engineer's saying diffeent from their
marketing dept.  I think the word 'ClusterF*ck' applies here.

--
/John S. Schroder                  +  SCA: East Kingdom, Shire of Anglespur   \
/Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute  +  Underachiever, And Proud of It Man!     \