[comp.sys.amiga.misc] AREXX Serial Port Handler Sought

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (01/13/91)

I'm not completely sure that this is the correct of all the new newsgroups
to post this, but I'll give it a try.

I am interested in finding out how to access the serial port through an
AREXX program. I need to send certain ASCII codes through the serial port.
Specifically, I want to be able to control a VAS (video machine for single
framing animations), which gets it's signals normally from the serial port.
All it needs to recieve are short ASCII codes. For example, "R" tells it
to record, "+" tells it to play, and so on.

Any suggestions?

Sean Schur		    			USENET: schur@isi.edu
Assistant Director Amiga/Media Lab		Compuserve: 70731,1102
Character Animation Department			Plink: OSS259
California Institute of the Arts

gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (Net Runner Mark V) (01/13/91)

In article <16363@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>I am interested in finding out how to access the serial port through an
>AREXX program. I need to send certain ASCII codes through the serial port.

>Any suggestions?

>Sean Schur		    			USENET: schur@isi.edu
>Assistant Director Amiga/Media Lab		Compuserve: 70731,1102
>Character Animation Department			Plink: OSS259
>California Institute of the Arts

	Accessing the serial port via AREXX is pretty simple actually... Simply
use the OPEN function under AREXX to open the 'SER:' logical device... This
will use the preferences settings for the serial port. From then on, to write
messages to the serial port, or read messages from the serial port, use the
functions WRITECH, WRITELN, READCH, and READLN which are documented in the
AREXX manual.

	If you can be more specific in exactly the type of information you're
trying to handle and how you'd like to go about it, I could come up with an
example for you.

James McIninch
gt1619a@hydra.gatech.edu
Georgia Institute of Technology
Applied Biology (Molecular)

swalton@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (01/15/91)

In article <19583@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt1619a@prism (Net Runner Mark V) writes:
>In article <16363@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>>I am interested in finding out how to access the serial port through an
>>AREXX program. I need to send certain ASCII codes through the serial port.
>
>	Accessing the serial port via AREXX is pretty simple actually... Simply
>use the OPEN function under AREXX to open the 'SER:' logical device...

Another, and better IMHO, option is to use the SerMod serial module
which Larry Phillips wrote about in an issue of the late lamented
Amiga Transactor.  This is a potentially powerful tool which has
seen too little use (including by me--too few hours in the day).