[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Broken Software?

mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (01/16/91)

In article <41681@nigel.ee.udel.edu> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
   In article <JIMB.91Jan14143121@pogo.ai.mit.edu> jimb@pogo.ai.mit.edu (Jim Blandy) writes:
   >A Mac running the Multifinder has non-preemptive multitasking; each
   >task voluntarily gives up control.  The Amiga does preemptive
   >multitasking; a task may be stopped at any time.

   It's worse than this.  Try starting up multifinder, hypercard, and
   (say) tetris. I just did this last night because I wanted to play
   tetris but the owner of the machine had the hypercard stack open.
   Anyway, the music was all messed up and the blocks fell at different
   speeds, making it difficult to play.  I then realised that hypercard
   must be sucking up CPU time even though it was not active, it was not
   running anything, and the mouse was not near the window.

Ho hum - you found broken software. I can show you software that has
the same behavior on the Amiga (actually, I may not be able to
anymore, because most of it's written in AmigaBASIC, which was so
badly broken that it didn't make the transition to the A3000, which is
the only machine I have now). Worse yet, I've got examples of such
software that don't take over the machine, but only exit if you reboot
the machine.

Likewise, I always had higher tetris scores than my wife - but I only
ran tetris while doing large makes. That slows things down enough to
bust my scores above hers.

The only thing surprising about your example is that the software came
from Apple. Then again, CBM's flagship application (AmigaVision)
doesn't use the HELP key....

	<mike

--
Estant assis, de nuit secrette estude,			Mike Meyer
Seul, repose sur la selle d'airain,   			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

ath@lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Heybey) (01/17/91)

In article <MWM.91Jan15123822@raven.relay.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:

   Likewise, I always had higher tetris scores than my wife - but I only
   ran tetris while doing large makes. That slows things down enough to
   bust my scores above hers.

Yes, but if you ran make and its children at priority 0, and tetris at
priority 1 then tetris should show a minimal slowdown because it will
always run when it is not sleeping.

--
Andrew Heybey, ath@ptt.lcs.mit.edu, uunet!ptt.lcs.mit.edu!ath