[comp.sys.amiga.misc] The DEMO question

hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie>, smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
> Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?

Yeah, what _is_ the best demo for the Amiga (say a 500, not a 3000); not
only on technical merit, but also which _looks_ the best, and is the most
impressive; the sort of thing you would sit gawking at for however long?

And... Where can I get it?

H&M
T.

higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.171057.7814@vax1.tcd.ie> hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
$Yeah, what _is_ the best demo for the Amiga (say a 500, not a 3000); not
$only on technical merit, but also which _looks_ the best, and is the most
$impressive; the sort of thing you would sit gawking at for however long?

In my opinion, the best demo for Amigas is RADBOOGIE.  It was a BADGE
Killer demo contest entry a year or so ago.  There are demos which are
more elaborate in terms of graphics but they always require gobs of RAM
and maybe even disk space.  RADBOOGIE is small, elegant, customizable,
and allows me to point out to unbelievers things that ONLY AMIGAS CAN
DO.  Things like smooth flipping of graphics in tons of colors (some
neat copper hack I think), with two layers of overlaid graphics (a
playfield and a bob or gel, is my guess [haven't looked at the source
as you can tell]), and a GREAT audio track.  It runs on an A500 or an
A3000, with CPU-oriented things [a trail of lines with moving end
points] getting faster on the faster CPU.  It also runs fine under 2.0
(the music didn't work at first, but with some help I was able to fix
that, too).

$And... Where can I get it?

BADGE?

$H&M
$T.

	Paul.

[Must disclaim this one...]
Disclaimer: These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my
employer.

smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie (02/21/91)

In article <7607@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> In article <1991Feb18.144351.7811@vax1.tcd.ie> smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>>Q: What demo program uses the Amiga to its maximum ability?
>
> 	None yet, I hope!  Otherwise, we cannot look forward to any new
> stuff:  the "maximum" has already been done. :-)

Good point. As many have already pointed out: Can we ever reach the 'maximum'?

> 	It depends what you mean by "maximum ability".  I mean, if you want
> to see an Amiga REALLY RUN FAST, write a tight loop in assembly language!

_Actuallyyyy_ things run - - --==FASTER >>>  when they are NOT in a tight loop.
For example, say you want to do a task 100 times. Much better to put 10
iterations of the task in a row and loop around _that_ ten times....
I think its 10 cycles for, say, a DBF loop to execute.
100 times : That's 100*10=1000 cycles
10 times : That's 10*10=100 cycles. 900 cycles saving!! (Ok, NotAVeryLongTime)
And remember: Memory is cheap!

> But this kind of demo doesn't give you much to watch. :-)

depends whats in the loop! But nonetheless, point taken.
Actually, if you think about it, the Amiga is always running flat out: It's how
you direct that speed that makes it _seem_ as though its working harder, while
in fact it's working just as hard as it is while busy-waiting.

> 	No, you probably are looking for a mind-blowing graphics demo.
> Some of the European demos found by FTP on ab20.larc.nasa.gov in the
> incoming/amiga directory are pretty impressive.  I also like the graphics
> in Shadow of the Beast and Turrican (particularly the big fist in the demo
> version).  And the latest version of BLAZEMONGER, of course.
>
>                                                         Dan

Thanks Dan but, (wait for it folks.....) Sob..Sob.. I don't have FTP.
Don't worry: I do get demos from a local usergroup called CUGI.
(Commodore Users Group of Ireland; if anyones interested..)
Some of them are amazing! Have you seen the one called 'Mental Hangover'?
It's A very neat piece of programming!

>  //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
> | Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
> | INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
> | COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
>  \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

|  / T | /  Stephen John McGerty           |                     Amiga  // |
|  / | |/   smcgerty@vax1.tcd.ie (C.Sci.)  | "Hmm.. No, nothing."    \\//  |
|__________________________________________|_______________________________|

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (02/22/91)

From article <19105@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS):
> In my opinion, the best demo for Amigas is RADBOOGIE.  It was a BADGE
> {stuff deleted to save bandwidth}
> points] getting faster on the faster CPU.  It also runs fine under 2.0
> (the music didn't work at first, but with some help I was able to fix
> that, too).

I have two problems with RadBoogie under 2.0.  The first being that Play simply
refuses to run.  (so much for the soundtrack)  Also, the graphics are wrong.  I
get a vertical bar on the left side of the screen, and frequent horizontal bars
that don't belong there.  (ie, they don't show up under 1.3).

On a related point, does anyone know why Movie won't play the soundtrack when
run from the 2.0 workbench?  It works fine from the 2.0 CLI.

					Firestar

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std.disclaimer>           *