[comp.sys.amiga.misc] TeX introduction

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (02/21/91)

Does anyone know of a good cheap or  free  introduction  to  TeX?
I'd  like to try it out, but I don't want to go and spend a whole
pile of money before I learn a bit about it.  I'd really hate  to
be  stuck  with  bunch of expensive books about something I don't
even like.  Please email replies to the address below.  Thanks.

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga         /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (Commodore is starting///  *
*                              *    to know that)  \\\///   *
*                              * and it's about time\XX/    *

QUIT

martens@frigate.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (02/23/91)

Tex has been largely superceded by latex, so you'd be better off
starting there.  I've never used latex on an Amiga, but it's a pretty
nice package on a Sun.
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Scissors cut paper, rock breaks scissors, and guy stuff beats girl stuff.

espie@flamingo.Stanford.EDU (Marc Espie) (02/25/91)

In article <88764@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>Tex has been largely superceded by latex, so you'd be better off
>starting there.  I've never used latex on an Amiga, but it's a pretty
>nice package on a Sun.
>--
>-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Uh. This is inaccurate. LaTeX is built on top of TeX, but this does not
mean LaTeX supercedes TeX in any way. It depends a LOT on what you want
to do.

TeX, written by Donald Knuth, is the basic package upon which everything
else is written. The reference for it IS the TeXbook, written by Knuth
himself and published by Addison-Wesley. No other book comes close to
describing every detail (Check the printing, 18th is the latest with
important CHANGES from previous printing). TeX has a ``macros-programming
language'', with which you can describe pretty much what you want.

LaTeX is an all-purposes macro package built on top of TeX. Easier to
learn maybe... except that most error messages you get are undecipherable
if you don't use TeX, and you run into trouble VERY soon if you want to
do something outside of the ordinary. LaTeX is Leslie Lamport's baby,
with a manual to match. Might suit you, doesn't suit me.

There is also AMSTeX, a TeX macro package built by the american mathematical
society... I'm a bit unclear about its status, whether you can obtain it
without paying. This one knows ALL about maths, there are several hundred
lines of codes specifically geared to set mathematics PERFECTLY.
TeX or LaTex don't come close to it in that regard. Also AMSTeX knows
how to manage some nice symbol fonts, with things mathematicians need.
The reference manual is ``The Joy of TeX'', author's Spivak. This might
be the simpler book to read if you only want to typeset Mathematics.

And there are some more packages (like TeXinfo), several user-groups
(TUGBoat in the US, GUTENBERG in Europe) , utility programs (bibtex)
and other things I don't know about.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do, and what your frame of mind
is. If you want to understand how everything ticks, have ultimate control
about your masterpiece, learn about TeX; if what you want is
better-than-average typesetting with no trouble, learn LaTeX; if you feel
mathematically inclined, learn AMSTeX. In that case, having an amiga
is no trouble. TeX is pretty much computer-independent, so once the
BASIC program works, everything should be alright, macro packages and all.

If anybody wants to further discuss TeX-specific subjects, try to please
redirect it to the appropriate newsgroups.

It might be a good idea to add an FAQ entry for AmigaTeX, its advantages
and drawbacks ?
--
	 Marc (Marc espie, espie@flamingo.stanford.edu)
No .sign tonight.

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (02/26/91)

In article <88764@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, martens@frigate.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Jeff Martens) says:

>Tex has been largely superceded by latex, so you'd be better off
>starting there.  I've never used latex on an Amiga, but it's a pretty
>nice package on a Sun.
>--

As Marc Espin explains in his followup post, the notion that LaTeX
supercedes TeX is hogwash.  Yes, there are many people for whom LaTeX
is a good place to start, but probably not most people.

Let this be the tiebreaker 8-)

                              lee

bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (02/26/91)

[Cross-posted to, and followups to, comp.sys.amiga.intro, since this is a FAQ.]
In article <9102211250.AA02580@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca>
tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:

>Does anyone know of a good cheap or  free  introduction  to  TeX?

A free demonstration disk of AmigaTex, which should be enough to decide if
(a) TeX is for you and (b) AmigaTeX is the best implementation of TeX on
any computer anywhere (like that, Tom?)  is available for free from Radical
Eye Software.  Write to the company at Box 2081, Stanford, CA 94309 USA.
Borrow a copy of The TeXbook and/or TeX for the Impatient from a friend.
--
Stephen R. Walton, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Cal State Northridge
bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu until my Suns come back up