[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Binding keys with mg3beta4

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) (03/04/91)

As delivered, it seems that mg3beta4 binds the Backspace key
to the help prefix, and DEL to backward-delete-character.  I
find this very frustrating, and in an ideal world, I would be
able to bind Backspace to backward-delete-characer, and put
the help prefix on the Help key.  I tried to RTFM, but I couldn't
find help.  Could someone please send me a copy of their .mg
file that has better bindings, or am I just doomed to create
a keymap with Backspace and DEL swapped, and muck with the
keymaps whenever I load?

Dave Buchthal

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) (03/04/91)

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:

>As delivered, it seems that mg3beta4 binds the Backspace key
>to the help prefix, and DEL to backward-delete-character.  I
>find this very frustrating, and in an ideal world, I would be
>able to bind Backspace to backward-delete-characer, and put
>the help prefix on the Help key.

This must be common, it is *exactly* the same thing that I wanted to do.

>I tried to RTFM, but I couldn't
>find help.

Correct on point two as well.  The manual is abscure in places and wrong
in others.  I talked to the guys who wrote it, and they said that it was
a beta release and the manual would be cleaned up for the real release.

>Could someone please send me a copy of their .mg
>file that has better bindings, or am I just doomed to create
>a keymap with Backspace and DEL swapped, and muck with the
>keymaps whenever I load?

For the moment, yes.  I told the creators (sorry I can't remember
offhand who they are) about this and several other problems.  They
acknowledged them and said that they would hopefully be corrected in the
next release of mg.

I hadn't thought of modifying the keymap to make it correct, I might
have to try that now.

Good luck with mg,

Phil.

--
o|      ///   Phil Kernick              EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au    |o
 |     ///    Departmental Engineer     Phone:  +618 228 5914                |

rmr@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Randy M. Roberts) (03/04/91)

Wait a minute.

I remember that a couple of weeks ago I overcame the BACKSPACE<->DEL
problem by using an mg3beta4 command which expressly swapped the two
keys.  I can't remember if it was in the manual, or if I found it
by patient use of the apropos.  I am not currently at my Amiga now, but
when I get home (If I remember) I will look it up and repost.

Regards,
Randy

P.S.

Should this discussion be moved to comp.sys.amiga.applications?
--
Randy M. Roberts
rmr@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (03/05/91)

   Wait a minute.

   I remember that a couple of weeks ago I overcame the BACKSPACE<->DEL
   problem by using an mg3beta4 command which expressly swapped the two
   keys.  I can't remember if it was in the manual, or if I found it
   by patient use of the apropos.  I am not currently at my Amiga now, but
   when I get home (If I remember) I will look it up and repost.

The command in question is bsmap-mode. It is explicitly designed to
make live on backspace machines easier. One of these days, I'll get
around to hacking up the Amiga so I can use Delete instead of
Backspace, and my life will be much easier.

	<mike

--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		mwm@pa.dec.com