[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Lharc,zoo,DMS

mwilkins@p3.f55.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Mike Wilkins) (03/05/91)

ST> I have a question on how to compress files with lharc and zoo.
ST> How would I pack all files in a dir into a lzh or zoo file.
ST> I know that you use lharc a or zoo a but what do I do from their?

Zoo has stumped me also.  This is what I've done.  Suppose that you have
dir 'A' that contains dirs 'B' & 'C'.
To archive all subdirs of 'A': zoo aP file a/* a/b/* a/c/*
To unarch a zoo file in it's original dir paths: zoo x// file
I would suggest LHARC as it does the job and archives smaller than zoo.
To archive dir 'A' and all subdirs: LHARC -r -x -a a FileName DIR1/*
      -r = Do all subdirs & files.
      -x = Use extended filenames.
      -a = Use file attributes of original files.
       a = Add to archive.
FileName = Name of archive file.
  DIR1/* = Archive everything in 'DIR1' and its subdirs.

To add another dir to the same archive file, just issue the command again
with a differnet dir or specify both dirs 'DIR1/* DIR2/*'.

To unarch to original use: LHARC -x x filename
Hope this helps.--- via AmigaXRS v3.02

--

                  Mike Wilkins (mwilkins@mmug.edgar.mn.org)
               UUCP: ...jhereg!tcnet!vware!edgar!mmug!mwilkins

--

metahawk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (03/08/91)

In article <0.27D3C01B@mmug.edgar.mn.org> mwilkins@p3.f55.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Mike Wilkins) writes:
>ST> I have a question on how to compress files with lharc and zoo.
>ST> How would I pack all files in a dir into a lzh or zoo file.
>ST> I know that you use lharc a or zoo a but what do I do from their?
>
>I would suggest LHARC as it does the job and archives smaller than zoo.
>To archive dir 'A' and all subdirs: LHARC -r -x -a a FileName DIR1/*
>      -r = Do all subdirs & files.
>      -x = Use extended filenames.
>      -a = Use file attributes of original files.
>       a = Add to archive.
>FileName = Name of archive file.
>  DIR1/* = Archive everything in 'DIR1' and its subdirs.
>
>To add another dir to the same archive file, just issue the command again
>with a differnet dir or specify both dirs 'DIR1/* DIR2/*'.
>
>To unarch to original use: LHARC -x x filename
>
>                  Mike Wilkins (mwilkins@mmug.edgar.mn.org)
>               UUCP: ...jhereg!tcnet!vware!edgar!mmug!mwilkins
>                   FidoNet: 1:282/55.3 - Mike's Diner BBS

Or better yet, use LharcA on the incoming/amiga directory at ab20.
This has a graphical interface kind of like PKAZip's, but uses the
lzh compression.  While LharcA is not completely finished, the only
problem I've had with it was that I could not get out of an infinite loop
caused by bad data for djclock on ab20.  The standard lharc got into the
same loop, but I was able to Ctrl-C break out of it.  Try it and enjoy it.

                                       Metahawk
                                       metahawk@rpi.edu