[comp.sys.amiga.misc] NFS: and dnet

dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) (03/02/91)

This is kind of a follow-up to a previous thread, and also implicitly
addressed to Matt Dillon...

There was some reference to the reason why NFS: would not work on all
UNIX machines, I believe this had to do with the "word order" relative
to the 68000. A friend has NFS working fine on a Sun machine, and the same
dnet source compiles and runs fine on a Sequent (DYNIX), except for NFS,
which hangs the Amiga end after a few bytes are exchanged over the modem.
I would like to get Matt or anyone else who knows what to do, to post
a fix, or any other clues as to what to do to get NFS running on the Sequent.
BTW, the user accounts on the Sequent are not (official) NFS partitions,
which is what dnet prefers, from the docs.

--
-- David Black     University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
                   Internet: black@uimrl3.mrl.uiuc.edu (preferred)

peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (03/03/91)

dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) writes:

>This is kind of a follow-up to a previous thread, and also implicitly
>addressed to Matt Dillon...

>There was some reference to the reason why NFS: would not work on all
>UNIX machines, I believe this had to do with the "word order" relative
>to the 68000. A friend has NFS working fine on a Sun machine, and the same
>dnet source compiles and runs fine on a Sequent (DYNIX), except for NFS,
>which hangs the Amiga end after a few bytes are exchanged over the modem.
>I would like to get Matt or anyone else who knows what to do, to post
>a fix, or any other clues as to what to do to get NFS running on the Sequent.
>BTW, the user accounts on the Sequent are not (official) NFS partitions,
>which is what dnet prefers, from the docs.

>--
>-- David Black     University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
>                   Internet: black@uimrl3.mrl.uiuc.edu (preferred)
>                             dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>                   Bitnet:   black@uiucmrl
>                   Usenet:   uunet!uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu!black%uimrl.dnet

Well I spent countless hours mucking around dnet/NFS and eventually got it
(sort of) working on a VAX  (reverse byte order).  But I wouldn't reccomend
anyone else using my code because it is a MESS.  I dont even know if it would
work on a same-byte-order machine anymore.  I could probably post the
source to you if you really needed it, but be warned that it often locks up
when the host load gets too high.  Likewise for mailchk.

-Peter

--
Peter Wemm
peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (if fails, try peter@cutmcvax.oz.au)

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (03/08/91)

peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) writes:

>Well I spent countless hours mucking around dnet/NFS and eventually got it
>(sort of) working on a VAX  (reverse byte order).  But I wouldn't reccomend
>anyone else using my code because it is a MESS.  I dont even know if it would
>work on a same-byte-order machine anymore.  I could probably post the
>source to you if you really needed it, but be warned that it often locks up
>when the host load gets too high.  Likewise for mailchk.

Hmm... I wonder where your Uni is..I know that at the Univ. of Perth
they have done this. That is, fixed the NFS to run on a MicroVax. I *think*
the patched for this are pretty clean.

I can ask about this again (I have a contact in Perth) if someone wants to.
Please email me in that case.

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se