[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Nice machine

IP06106@PORTLAND.BITNET (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar05.201755.17698@chinet.chi.il.us>, saj@chinet.chi.il.us
(Stephen Jacobs) says:

>I was just at the Pittsburgh Conference (an analytical chemistry meeting), and
>saw a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry workstation based on an Amiga 3000
>with a 50 MHz 68030 accelerator board.  WOW.  Sorry, I forget the company
>name.
>One interesting thing, though, is that the names Commodore and Amiga aren't
>visible on the outside of the box.

That wasn't an Amiga 3000 you saw since there aren't yet any processor
upgrades for the A3000. What you saw was an Amiga 2000 with GVP's 50 Mhz
68030 processor board... which is about twice as fast as the Commdoore
A2630 25 Mhz 68030 board I have in my A2000. Since my board tests out
at 7.61 MIPS the GVP board should rate out at about 15 MIPS, not as good
as any 68040 based board.. but you still can't buy those yet.

+-- Graham Kinsey  IP06106@Portland.CAPS.Maine.edu  P/Link: G KINSEY --+
| You know, computers are just like ST:TNG....                         |
|   Amiga == Wesley (Brilliant kid, but whines too much)               |
+------------------ (with apologies to Eric Giguere) ------------------+

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (03/08/91)

In article <MWM.91Mar6111731@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <1991Mar05.201755.17698@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>   I was just at the Pittsburgh Conference (an analytical chemistry meeting),
>   and saw a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry workstation based on an
>   Amiga 3000 with a 50 MHz 68030 accelerator board.  WOW.  Sorry, I forget
>   the company name.
>
>That sounds rather strange - a 50MHz 68030 card just doesn't add that
>much extra oomph to a 3000; I can't concieve of there being enough of
>a market for anyone to bother designing one. Unless maybe it was an
>040 card with a fast 030 hacked into it somehow. Or lots of on-board
>static RAM, or something.

It may well have been an in-house custom job.  They told me that they'd tried
an '040, and were planning to go to it eventually, but that the extra power
showed up some bad spots in their software (I wish I remembered the company
name.  I've known a couple of the guys there from trade shows for almost 10
years, but they keep changing companies).  This is from an instrument
company who expect to sell a few tens of thousands of dollars of their real
product once they get the 'camel's nose' into a lab.