[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Apple wins in preliminary hearings against Microsoft

Subject: Apple Computer wins ruling against 'Windows'
Date: 7 Mar 91 06:37:21 GMT

	SAN FRANCISCO (UPI) -- A federal judge gave a preliminary ruling
Wednesday in favor of Apple Computer in its suit claiming copyright
infringement by Microsoft with its ``Windows'' program for IBM computers
and compatibles.
	In the closely watched suit over the rights to a ``user friendly''
computer, Apple alleges that Microsoft is using ideas from its Macintosh
computers for its popular program run on IBM and compatible machines.
	U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker cleared the way for a trial in
Apple's suit against Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard.
	The judge denied motions from Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard and
upheld Apple's claim that the Macintosh computer audio-visual displays
are original to Apple. The judge also held that the major portions of
Macintosh audio-visual displays -- overlapping windows and icons -- are
not licensed to Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard.
	``We're pleased with this favorable ruling and look forward to moving
to the core of this case the issue of copyright infringement by
Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard,'' said Edward B. Stead, Apple's vice
president and general counsel. ``With these issues behind us, we believe
our case is strengthened. We're confident that the remaining issues in
this case will be resolved in our favor.''
	Apple claims displays used in Windows 2.03 were original to Apple and
not covered by the scope of a 1985 agreement between Apple and
Microsoft. Those audio-visual displays include overlapping windows and
the appearance and manipulation of icons, or figures on the screen. The
court upheld that assertion. Both Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft argued
that the Macintosh user interface is not entitled to copyright
protection because it had been copied from earlier programs, principally
Xerox Star and SmallTalk. The court said the Macintosh user interface
programs were original works, independently created by Apple.
	Apple filed suit against Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard in March 1988
to protect its copyrights against infringement by Microsoft's Windows 2.
03 and Hewlett-Packard's New Wave.
	Apple's audio-visual displays make the Macintosh personal computer
unique and distinctive, and in computer parlance, ``user friendly.''
	Judge Walker's decision did not determine the issue of copyright
infringement, which will be resolved in the next phase of litigation. A
status conference will be held to determine the schedule for the
resolution of the remaining issues in the case.

	-- Ethan

	Upon leaving office, Ronald Reagan began renting an
office in the penthouse of the Fox Plaza, the Los Angeles
high-rise used as the location for the terrorist movie "Die
Hard".

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.085754.31096@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

> Both Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft argued
>that the Macintosh user interface is not entitled to copyright
>protection because it had been copied from earlier programs, principally
>Xerox Star and SmallTalk. The court said the Macintosh user interface
>programs were original works, independently created by Apple.

FLAME ON!

Well of course the *programs* were individual works!  What does this judge
think this is, a piracy case?  No!  It's a look-and-feel case!  Is this
judge computer-literate at all?  He seems to be about as computer-literate
as the Secret Service agents that raided Steve Jackson Games.  That is to
say, not at all.

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "There's UFOs over New
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | York, and I ain't too

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/09/91)

	The UPI article that was printed thursday was later corrected on friday
	and it seems that Apple did NOT recieve any judgement in favor of
	their 'look-and-feel' suit.... and that there may have been further
	comittmant by the judge to deny the 'look-and-feel' rights to Apple.

	The information on this is a bit muddy it seems... wonder what will
	happen when all this stuff is finally sorted out.

	-Mike-