[comp.sys.amiga.misc] An open letter to C=

t20l011@.ucsc.edu (10024011) (03/11/91)

	I bought a new A500 in December of 1989 because I had heard about
the fact that the new fatter agnus had been put in the all the 500's since
April.  I heard this from this newsgroup.  I get my computer and I find out
that it didn't have the chip in it.  However not in order to get this chip
that I purchased my computer to get (I had a A1000) I now have to buy it for
$100 or so.
	I want to buy A3000 but now the educational pricing system is all
screwed up.  Come on C= get your act together. I have yet to see a letter
that agrees with the 3 dealers in this area about the pricing deals.  What is
going on here?

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (03/17/91)

  *In a message dated 11 Mar 91  10:48:05 10024011 writes:
 >         I bought a new A500 in December of 1989 because I had heard
 > about
 > the fact that the new fatter agnus had been put in the all the 500's
 > since
 > April.  I heard this from this newsgroup.  I get my computer and I
 > find out
 > that it didn't have the chip in it.  However not in order to get
 > this chip
 > that I purchased my computer to get (I had a A1000) I now have to
 > buy it for
 > $100 or so.
 >         I want to buy A3000 but now the educational pricing system
 > is all
 > screwed up.  Come on C= get your act together. I have yet to see a
 > letter
 > that agrees with the 3 dealers in this area about the pricing deals.
 >  What is
 > going on here?

To the best of my knowledge, Commodore does not and never has supported
the Fatter Agnus in the A500.  The chip was used, in standard 512K mode,
in some 500s when the price of 256Kx1 bit RAM exceeded that of 256Kx4
bit RAM (a long story).  Anyway, it also currently voids your warranty
to install a Fatter Agnus in your A500, even if the work is performed by
a dealer, and not all 500s will support the newer Agnus.

In any event, Commodore did nothing to rip you off.  You just placed
blind faith in someone on the net, which tends to be silly.

My A500 does have the Fatter Agnus, and works fine.  Your mileage may
vary.  I would assume that if 2.0 is ever intended to be placed in ROM
for NEW 500s, that problem would have to be resolved (for NEW 500s).

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer