[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Mac roms on disk

EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (Glenn Everhart 215 354 7610 Everhart%Arisia.dnet.ge.com) (03/14/91)

There's a PD application called MACROM which allows one to load mac roms
off disk. It saves time over the loading technique amax uses, and contains
logic to save a copy of one's purchased mac roms to disk, or to use that
copy instead of the one amax (amax II) has in the little box. Amax will
then run without directly needing the roms. The amax hardware has to
read the roms into memory to be able to execute them, so clearly
it can be used to read them to disk via this hack, and the files are
ordinary (binary) amigados files. The macrom images do NOT contain
copies of the mac roms; just the hooks to let them be saved to and
used from disk with amax.
Glenn

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (03/15/91)

EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (Glenn Everhart 215 354 7610 Everhart%Arisia.dnet.ge.com) writes:
>There's a PD application called MACROM which allows one to load mac roms
>off disk. It saves time over the loading technique amax uses, and contains
>logic to save a copy of one's purchased mac roms to disk, or to use that
>copy instead of the one amax (amax II) has in the little box. Amax will
>then run without directly needing the roms. The amax hardware has to
>read the roms into memory to be able to execute them, so clearly
>it can be used to read them to disk via this hack, and the files are
>ordinary (binary) amigados files. The macrom images do NOT contain
>copies of the mac roms; just the hooks to let them be saved to and
>used from disk with amax.
>Glenn

Actually, i've heard that the developer of Amax II (can't remember his name)
made explicit modifications to Amax II so it WOULDN'T work with MacRom.  sort
of an effor to convince apple that he wasn't condoning piracy.  but then the
pirates just circumvented it with a different technique.

UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil
INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org

mikeg@amiganet.chi.il.us (Mike Glass) (03/18/91)

>EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (Glenn Everhart 215 354 7610 Everhart%Arisia.dnet.g
>e.com) writes:
>>There's a PD application called MACROM which allows one to load mac roms
>>off disk. It saves time over the loading technique amax uses, and contains
>>logic to save a copy of one's purchased mac roms to disk, or to use that
>>copy instead of the one amax (amax II) has in the little box. Amax will
>>then run without directly needing the roms. The amax hardware has to
>>read the roms into memory to be able to execute them, so clearly
>>it can be used to read them to disk via this hack, and the files are
>>ordinary (binary) amigados files. The macrom images do NOT contain
>>copies of the mac roms; just the hooks to let them be saved to and
>>used from disk with amax.
>>Glenn
>
>Actually, i've heard that the developer of Amax II (can't remember his name)
>made explicit modifications to Amax II so it WOULDN'T work with MacRom.  sort
>of an effor to convince apple that he wasn't condoning piracy.  but then the
>pirates just circumvented it with a different technique.
>
>UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks
>ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil
>INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org
Yes....But even so, if pirates were to attempt to upload the roms cracked onto
disk, they would not be able to upload the Utility & Systems disk, because (or
so I've heard) they are in AMAX format, and cannot be taken out of it, but
Amiga DOS can't read it.  So even if the ROMS can be cracked, you can't use
AMAX without those disks.  Pretty smart those guys eh?!

Hope is the denial of reality,
& he who hears and sees no evil is
                                        BLIND AND DEAF!
My pessimistic explosion for the day.

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (03/18/91)

>                                        BLIND AND DEAF!

Wake up! Obviously, you are just what you say you are above, as
more than three days ago, I forwared all the feed on this to
c.s.a.emulations... yeesh...

Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations
 -jeremy

 (in a bad mood, but SOMEONE from california has to be!)

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (03/18/91)

In article <mikeg.8778@amiganet.chi.il.us> mikeg@amiganet.chi.il.us (Mike Glass) writes:
>Yes....But even so, if pirates were to attempt to upload the roms cracked onto
>disk, they would not be able to upload the Utility & Systems disk, because (or
>so I've heard) they are in AMAX format, and cannot be taken out of it, but
>Amiga DOS can't read it.  So even if the ROMS can be cracked, you can't use
>AMAX without those disks.  Pretty smart those guys eh?!

  You can transfer AMAX disks using Disk Masher, Warp, Zoom, and ZAP.

They archive disks on  a track by track, mfm basis.

>Hope is the denial of reality,
>& he who hears and sees no evil is
>                                        BLIND AND DEAF!
>My pessimistic explosion for the day.

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\
|n|   rjc@albert.ai.mit.edu   Amiga, the computer for the creative mind.  |n|

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar18.040439.21838@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
|In article <mikeg.8778@amiganet.chi.il.us> mikeg@amiganet.chi.il.us (Mike Glass) writes:
|>Yes....But even so, if pirates were to attempt to upload the roms cracked onto
|>disk, they would not be able to upload the Utility & Systems disk, because (or
|>so I've heard) they are in AMAX format, and cannot be taken out of it, but
|>Amiga DOS can't read it.  So even if the ROMS can be cracked, you can't use
|>AMAX without those disks.  Pretty smart those guys eh?!
|
|  You can transfer AMAX disks using Disk Masher, Warp, Zoom, and ZAP.
|[etc]

You know, I find this whole discussion is borderline offensive.
If you are a law-abiding, civic minded programmer, WHO CARES if you can
pirate mac roms or not?

And if you don't fall into the above catagory, well, check the followups.

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (03/19/91)

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:

>EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (Glenn Everhart 215 354 7610 Everhart%Arisia.dnet.ge.com) writes:
>>There's a PD application called MACROM which allows one to load mac roms
>>off disk.

>Actually, i've heard that the developer of Amax II (can't remember his name)
>made explicit modifications to Amax II so it WOULDN'T work with MacRom.
>But then the
>pirates just circumvented it with a different technique.

Indeed, MacROM 2.0 (with appropriate patches to the ROM file) lets you own
a Macintosh for the price of an AmaxII (about what a Mac is worth).
If you use your hard drive, you don't even need the Amax hardware (totally
software Mac!) but I suggest buying the Amax - unlike an official Mac,
it's the product of a nice company.

  Since Apple has made the ROMs unavailable, however, it seems clear they
want us to pirate the ROMfile.  Very well, Apple, make any commodity
illegal and the market goes underground.  Of course, many of us are followers
of the harker ethic which says it's OK to copy the ROMs anyway since
Apple is scummy and information should be free.

.....Ben in San Jose.  Don't live here if you can help it.

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (03/19/91)

mikeg@amiganet.chi.il.us (Mike Glass) writes:

>>EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (Glenn Everhart Everhart%Arisia.dnet.g
>>e.com) writes:
>>>There's a PD application called MACROM which allows one to load mac roms
>>>off disk.

>>Actually, i've heard that the developer of Amax II (can't remember his name)
>>made explicit modifications to Amax II so it WOULDN'T work with MacRom...
>>...but then the
>>pirates just circumvented it with a different technique.

>Yes....But even so, if pirates were to attempt to upload the roms cracked onto
>disk, they would not be able to upload the Utility & Systems disk, because (or
>so I've heard) they are in AMAX format, and cannot be taken out of it, but
>Amiga DOS can't read it.  So even if the ROMS can be cracked, you can't use
>AMAX without those disks.  Pretty smart those guys eh?!

Don't be silly!
 1. Disks in AMax format can be copied, of course.
 2. You can run your Mac off a hard disk.
 3. If you get the Amax hardware, you can hook a Mac drive to it.
 4. I know lots of people that run AmaxII without the ROMs OR the Amax hardware.
	(myself, pretty soon)
 5. Never underestimate the craftiness of hackers.

Ben in San Jose, a foul city of uncaring destructive shallow people.