[comp.sys.amiga.misc] FIXFONTS does weird!!??

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (03/08/91)

Hi outthere,

I recently bought a TrumpCard harddrive (Q40) and now I had the following
problem:

FixFonts does absolutely nothing when booting from the Harddrive!

So I made a copy of the Mountlist, put it on an empty disk, and booted
from an floppy, without startup-sequence.
then a ASSIGN DEVS: EMPTY:DEVS
and MOUNT DH0:
and ASSIGN FONTS: DH0:FONTS
and DH0:system/fixfonts         and it works!!!

SO i tried booting from the harddrive without startup-sequence,
and did DH0:system/fixfonts     and it doesn't work!!!!

How is that possible????  Is it a bug????
Should I report this???

BTW my NOTEPAD works fine with over 30 fonts in my FONTS: now!
But I have to boot from a floppy to do fixfonts!!!

Nils Gokemeijer NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) (03/11/91)

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:

>FixFonts does absolutely nothing when booting from the Harddrive!

>So I made a copy of the Mountlist, put it on an empty disk, and booted
>from an floppy, without startup-sequence.
>and DH0:system/fixfonts         and it works!!!

>SO i tried booting from the harddrive without startup-sequence,
>and did DH0:system/fixfonts     and it doesn't work!!!!

>How is that possible????  Is it a bug????
>Should I report this???

I don't know exactly what the differences are, but I did discover the
following - FixFonts does *nothing* if booted from KS1.2.  I guess that
they check the version of the DiskFontLibrary and if it is not high
enough, the program exits without complaining.  If has to be run from
KS1.3.  I hope this helps a bit.  If not try and limit the causes more
and then ask one of the guys from C=.

Just my $0.02 worth,
Phil.

--
o|      ///   Phil Kernick              EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au    |o
 |     ///    Departmental Engineer     Phone:  +618 228 5914                |

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (03/17/91)

This sounds like (and is) a very silly question, but:  just what does
FixFonts accopmplish, and who needs to run it?

- Dave

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer

eric@cbmvax.commodore.com (Eric Cotton) (03/18/91)

In article <120.27E458D8@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
>This sounds like (and is) a very silly question, but:  just what does
>FixFonts accopmplish, and who needs to run it?

Not a silly question at all.  FixFonts simply updates the font contents files
in FONTS: (all the *.font files).  It scans the directories in FONTS: and
then rebuilds the .font files based on what it finds.  In general, you should
run FixFonts if you suspect that one or more of your .font files have become
corrupt.  It's also not a bad idea to run it after installing new fonts
into your system.
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (03/19/91)

In article <120.27E458D8@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>,
David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) says:

>This sounds like (and is) a very silly question, but:  just what does
>FixFonts accopmplish, and who needs to run it?

For font foobar there is a foobar.font file, and a directory called foobar
that contains a separate file for each available size of foobar, perhaps
8, 9 11, 20, and 24, say.  The foobar.font file contains info about what is
the foobar directory.

So, what do you think might happen if you add a foobar size 18 font file, and
delete the size 20?  In fact, foobar.font is now obsolete.  FixFonts
looks through each subdirectory in fonts:, and creates a correct .font file
for it.

I think...

          lee

>- Dave
>

>--
>David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
>UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer
>Domain: David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>Standard Disclaimers Apply...

In article <120.27E458D8@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
>This sounds like (and is) a very silly question, but:  just what does
>FixFonts accopmplish, and who needs to run it?

For every font, you have a "name.font" file in the fonts: dir plus a
"name" dir in fonts: and in that dir you find the different font sizes
as numbered files. Now the "name.font" file is sort of a contents file
for that very font. If you add a new size by copying an additional file
into the "name" dir, then the file "name.font" should know about that
change, and this is what FixFonts does for you. It scans through the
available font sizes and updates the contents files accordingly.
It is a good idea to run FixFonts whenever you copied some fonts files
into your fonts: directory.