[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Hires games

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) (03/18/91)

In Message-ID: <1991Mar16.181918.17906@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>
          rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) said:
[description of use of sprites on a hires screen deleted]
> A using 640x200x3 bitplanes would be possible since that's the bandiwdth
>used by a HAM screen. Pioneer Plague proved a game in HAM was possible.
>8 colors is very limiting, the copper would have to poke a new palette
>every few scanlines otherwise the game would look too plain.
>
>I don't think using hires mode would add much to the game. More colors
>and faster animation make games look better. HI-res would only stifle it.

Well, then, how about 320x400?  Objects in games are rarely single pixel and
those that would (or come close) should be moving pretty fast so flicker
shouldn't be noticeable.  It's the same resolution as 640x200 but without the
bandwidth limitations.

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) (03/18/91)

In article <910317.153135.CST.C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) writes:
[ ... ]
>Well, then, how about 320x400?  Objects in games are rarely single pixel and
>those that would (or come close) should be moving pretty fast so flicker
>shouldn't be noticeable.  It's the same resolution as 640x200 but without the
>bandwidth limitations.

To give Mike Farren a free plug, doesn't Crystal Quest use 320x400?  Sure looks
like it from the demo version I played with.  Flicker was negligible, and my
monitor tends to be a serious flickerer.  Looked like a very nice port...

Asteriods [sic] is 640x400 if I remember correctly, but then it's only one
bitplane.

In general, I would think 320x400 is a pretty good resolution to use...

                                   - Neil

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs        //     What was sliced bread
att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com   \X/    the greatest thing since?

cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) (03/18/91)

In article <910317.153135.CST.C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) writes:
>In Message-ID: <1991Mar16.181918.17906@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>
>          rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) said:
>[description of use of sprites on a hires screen deleted]
>> A using 640x200x3 bitplanes would be possible since that's the bandiwdth
>>used by a HAM screen. Pioneer Plague proved a game in HAM was possible.
>>8 colors is very limiting, the copper would have to poke a new palette
>>every few scanlines otherwise the game would look too plain.
>>
>>I don't think using hires mode would add much to the game. More colors
>>and faster animation make games look better. HI-res would only stifle it.
>
>Well, then, how about 320x400?  Objects in games are rarely single pixel and
>those that would (or come close) should be moving pretty fast so flicker
>shouldn't be noticeable.  It's the same resolution as 640x200 but without the
>bandwidth limitations.

Too much data to move around, which would slow down the frame rate
and make the game look slow...

--
Colin Adams                                  Shadowplay
James Cook University                        Amiga Developers

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar18.043707.22648@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) writes:

   >Well, then, how about 320x400?  Objects in games are rarely single
   >pixel and those that would (or come close) should be moving pretty
   >fast so flicker shouldn't be noticeable.  It's the same resolution as
   >640x200 but without the bandwidth limitations.
   Too much data to move around, which would slow down the frame rate
   and make the game look slow...

Actually, Crystal Quest (at least the version I've seen, I think
there's a new one out) on the Amiga uses 320x400 graphics.  Of course,
it's hardly a parallax-scrolling, art-to-die-for Psygnosis type game.

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (03/19/91)

 You need a constant scroll for it to look good.
 Also it take twice has mutch in interlace.
 So a double buffered display use already 192000 bytes of chip
 memory.And since people develop mostly for 512k machine...
 It would take more CPU time, simply the object would be smaller.
 I was thinking of doing a cinemascope time game view, but only
 idea with horizontal scroll can be suported in that mode...
 So the flicker is defenectly here.
 also the amiga dont let you do hardware scroll in full horizontal
 screen...
 For me the best for games (with Hscroll and/or Vscroll) is a resolution
 of 288x200x6 (or taller if you have space: highscore, board).
 Mixing dualplayfield and sprite is also very nice, since you can hace
 the 32 colors on screen.

 I know of only 1 arcade machine using a screen in interlace hires.
 all the other games are lores screen! simply lots of colors!

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) (03/20/91)

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU writes:
>rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) said:
>>I don't think using hires mode would add much to the game. More colors
>>and faster animation make games look better. HI-res would only stifle it.
>
>Well, then, how about 320x400?  Objects in games are rarely single pixel and
>those that would (or come close) should be moving pretty fast so flicker
>shouldn't be noticeable.

I did CRYSTAL QUEST in 320 X 400.  Flicker isn't too bad for the moving
objects, but can be pretty awful for the stationary ones, like the score
display, etc. - not to mention the title screen and instruction screens,
which are just plain ungodly on a crummy Commodore (sorry - the 1084's
just aren't very good at interlace) monitor.

The biggest problem with 320 X 400 is that it takes twice the buffer
space of 320 X 200, and motion is limited to 30Hz.  Not much of a limitation,
but there.
| Michael J. Farren                                      farren@sat.com |
|                        He's moody, but he's cute.                     |