[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Hard drive recovery

lhotka@incstar.uucp (03/19/91)

Well, my luck finally ran out I guess...  After several years with no real
hard drive problems, Handshake 2.20c finally did in one of my partitions...

Just at the beginning of a download (as it was opening the output file I
assume), the Amiga crashed and when it tried to reboot it found that DH0:
needed validation.  About 3-5 seconds after beginning hard drive access the
Amiga gurued...  This happens every time it tries to access DH0:

I used DiskSalv with the 'NODOS' option to recover all the information onto
DH1:, so I have all the data that was on the drive, but my problem is that
I can't get DH0: back...  The Amiga FORMAT command accesses DH0: and 3-5
seconds later - GURU  DiskDoctor, FixDisk and DiskSalv (w/o the 'NODOS'
option) do the same thing, so unless they have switches I am missing they
won't help me...

Is there a way to solve this without doing a low level format of the entire
drive?  Thanks for any help!!
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (03/21/91)

In article <2614.27e5cb62@incstar.uucp>, lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:

> [...], the Amiga crashed and when it tried to reboot it found that DH0:
> needed validation.  About 3-5 seconds after beginning hard drive access the
> Amiga gurued...  This happens every time it tries to access DH0:

I had the same problem a few weeks ago with a FFS partition. I took
an older version of the FastFileSystem: ffs 36.35 (20 Sep 1990) and
rebooted. After I was able to access the partition without hanging
or guruing, so format!
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/