[comp.sys.amiga.misc] The 1/2 line artifact

In article <1991Mar13.062558.1013@galois.mit.edu> pselver@euler.mit.edu (Peter Selverstone) writes:
>In article <19802@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>In article <13397@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:
>>>
>>>Hmm.  Does anyone know what C= plans to do about the A3000 problems
>>>(specifically the deinterlacer's flickering black line)?  Is this a bug
>>>that they will fix or is it a feature?
>>
>>Technically speaking, it's a feature.  Converting a full NTSC frame the way
>>the A3000's Amber chip does it is just guaranteed to give you that flickering
>>1/2 line.  That's an effect of the NTSC standard and the way its different
>>frames get displayed.
>
>No Dave, NTSC has nothing to do with it.  Don't believe everything
>you hear.  An interlaced field has 262.5 horizontal intervals which
>become 525 unique lines at twice frequency.  With a static image
>there is no reason for these lines to change.

Sorry to disagree. One of those fields (let's assume the odd one)
begins with *a half line starting in the middle of the screen*!
It starts at the same height as the 1st line of the other field, so
they interlace perfectly when you imagine them being a little slanted
to the right (vertical deflection causing this). So there is really
only one half line of video data to display. Now this is all valid
for a standard analog TV set.

Hmm, but how is it managed in the Amiga bitplanes? I think I remember
they are built of all full lines, also in interlace.

So, am I puzzled, or what am I?

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (03/20/91)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>In article <1991Mar13.062558.1013@galois.mit.edu> pselver@euler.mit.edu (Peter Selverstone) writes:

>>>Technically speaking, it's a feature.  Converting a full NTSC frame the way
>>>the A3000's Amber chip does it is just guaranteed to give you that flickering
>>>1/2 line.  That's an effect of the NTSC standard and the way its different
>>>frames get displayed.
>>
>>No Dave, NTSC has nothing to do with it.  Don't believe everything
>>you hear.  An interlaced field has 262.5 horizontal intervals which
>>become 525 unique lines at twice frequency.  With a static image
>>there is no reason for these lines to change.

>Sorry to disagree. One of those fields (let's assume the odd one)
>begins with *a half line starting in the middle of the screen*!

Damn. Its a feature.  Does the flickerfixer do this too?
--
Hi, I'm a .signature file! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
                      flames to comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc

pselver@euler.mit.edu (Peter Selverstone) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar19.192651.16390@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:
>peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>>>No Dave, NTSC has nothing to do with it.  Don't believe everything
>>>you hear.  An interlaced field has 262.5 horizontal intervals which
>>>become 525 unique lines at twice frequency.  With a static image
>>>there is no reason for these lines to change.
>
>>Sorry to disagree. One of those fields (let's assume the odd one)
>>begins with *a half line starting in the middle of the screen*!
>
>Damn. Its a feature.  Does the flickerfixer do this too?

No.

>--
>Hi, I'm a .signature file! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
>                      flames to comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
> Doug Dyer ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu                       (2B)|!(2B) -> ?

--
Peter Selverstone  -  Spy Pond Systems - Arlington, MA  -  (617)648-7468
pselver@euler.mit.edu  bix:pselverstone  PLINK:pselverst  CIS:72527,2652