[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Dvorak keymap

goodwinm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Michael Goodwin) (03/08/91)

Does anyone know if a Dvorak keymap exists, or if I might be able to find one
on any FTP site?  I have been interrested in this for some time, but I haven't
found any.
                  Thanks in advance,
		   Michael Goodwin

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar07.222033.23864@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> goodwinm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Michael Goodwin) writes:
>Does anyone know if a Dvorak keymap exists, or if I might be able to find one
>on any FTP site?  I have been interrested in this for some time, but I haven't
>found any.
>                  Thanks in advance,
>		   Michael Goodwin

Yeah, it's called Extras1.x:dev/keymaps/usa2.

--
   //   Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
 \X/  joseph@valnet.UUCP     jph@irie.ais.org       jph@albert.ai.mit.edu

In article <1991Mar07.222033.23864@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> goodwinm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Michael Goodwin) writes:
>Does anyone know if a Dvorak keymap exists, or if I might be able to find one
>on any FTP site?  I have been interrested in this for some time, but I haven't
>found any.

It's in there! Look into your Extras disk, in the devs/keymaps drawer
and try usa2. It IS Dvorak.

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) (03/21/91)

In article <974@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>It's in there! Look into your Extras disk, in the devs/keymaps drawer
>and try usa2. It IS Dvorak.

Now, if we rename usa2 to dvorak, will the OS recognize the change or do all
keymaps have to be named countryn?

Agitator
  #->

 "Caltech -- A Division of      rolee@hmcvax.bitnet              //    BITNET
     Harvey Mudd"               rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu     //   InterNet
 -------------- R E M E M B E R   B E I J I N G ------------\\-//------------
 IBM PC - Who wants a politically correct computer?          \X/  Only AMIGA!
 Roderick Lee         "The Professional Agitator"         Harvey Mudd College

In article <11329@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>In article <974@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>It's in there! Look into your Extras disk, in the devs/keymaps drawer
>>and try usa2. It IS Dvorak.
>
>Now, if we rename usa2 to dvorak, will the OS recognize the change or do all
>keymaps have to be named countryn?

The name of the keymap has no meaning to the OS at all. You may rename it
just as you like it. You only have to issue the setmap command (e.g. in
the startup-sequence) with the current filename of the thing.

If you asked a different question, like "how to get Dvorak mapping for
other countries?", then it's tricky. The current Dvorak mapping is only
for USA. I even don't know whether Dvorak mappings for other countries
exist. (They should be fairly different, because Dvorak optimizes the
layout for typing speed, and as you use other characters in other
languages with other percentages of use, that should vary.) If there is
such a beast, then you still could resort to one of those keymap editor
programs on Fish disks (though none of them worked for me, the only
thing that worked on my "d" keymap, was NewZAP3.0 :-).

eric@cbmvax.commodore.com (Eric Cotton) (03/21/91)

In article <11329@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>In article <974@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>It's in there! Look into your Extras disk, in the devs/keymaps drawer
>>and try usa2. It IS Dvorak.
>
>Now, if we rename usa2 to dvorak, will the OS recognize the change or do all
>keymaps have to be named countryn?

You are free to rename usa2 to dvorak.  The OS does not care.  The keymaps
are named as they are as a convenience to each country.

--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) (03/23/91)

In article <11329@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>In article <974@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>It's in there! Look into your Extras disk, in the devs/keymaps drawer
>>and try usa2. It IS Dvorak.
>
>Now, if we rename usa2 to dvorak, will the OS recognize the change or do all
>keymaps have to be named countryn?

Yes, you can rename the keymap. However, if you would have a different keymap
with the name usa2 some more changes would have to be made.
The name of the keymap is in the keymap itself also, so if you changed the
name of usa2 to dvorak and some other keymap to usa2, there would be some
problem.
Doing a "setmap dvorak" and then a "setmap usa2" would not change the keymap
to the "new" usa2. The solution is of course to change the name contained in
the keymap also, or not having another usa2 keymap.

>Agitator
>  #->
>
> "Caltech -- A Division of      rolee@hmcvax.bitnet              //    BITNET
>     Harvey Mudd"               rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu     //   InterNet
> IBM PC - Who wants a politically correct computer?          \X/  Only AMIGA!
> Roderick Lee         "The Professional Agitator"         Harvey Mudd College

--
-Erik Lundevall  "Visitors are expected to complain at the reception between
                  9am and 11am daily."      -From a sign in a hotel in Aten