[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Emacs -- what's out there now?

amgreene@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Marc Greene) (03/20/91)

Howdy, all.

I'm currently running one of the myriad micro emacsen that are out
there, and it has gurued on me once too many.  I'm looking for a
*real* gnu emacs, if possible -- one that handles lisp.  I'm running
a 2500/030 with 5meg, so the size of the executable isn't a problem
but the cleanliness of the pointers are.  I'd be willing to settle
for a micro emacs that has an AREXX port and that doesn't guru on
me, if no one has a real Gnu emacs yet.

Many thanks,                | ``I'm a gnu! The gnicest work of gnature
  Andrew <amgreene@mit.edu> |   in the zoo!'' -- Flanders & Swan

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.201203.28507@athena.mit.edu> amgreene@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Marc Greene) writes:

   I'm looking for a
   *real* gnu emacs, if possible -- one that handles lisp.

The only existing port of GNU Emacs to to the Amiga that I know of
is relatively unstable, and will probably break on your '030.

   I'd be willing to settle
   for a micro emacs that has an AREXX port and that doesn't guru on
   me, if no one has a real Gnu emacs yet.

Mg3a (available on one of the Fish disks--I'll look it up) implements
a reasonable subset of GNU emacs' basic commands, has never gurued on
me (I've been using it fairly frequently for about a year), and has a
full-featured ARexx port (you can have it send you lines, buffers,
regions, characters, etc.).  In fact, it probably has enough stuff to
allow you to define `fake' modes (e.g. C mode, TeX mode, etc.)  I say
`fake' because it doesn't actually allow you to define new local
keymaps; but with key-binding and `name-last-kbd-macro', you could do
something like bind C-c to a REXX C-mode dispatch macro, then have
that interpret the following character(s) and invoke the proper macro.

nj

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (03/22/91)

   > I'm looking for a
   > *real* gnu emacs, if possible -- one that handles lisp.

> The only existing port of GNU Emacs to to the Amiga that I know of
> is relatively unstable, and will probably break on your '030.

The "real" GNU Emacs runs OK on an '030 (or at least, it does on
mine).  It does, however, have some unstable parts.  I can crash
it reliably by trying to use file completion several times in a row
when it doesn't complete anything.  When those few things get fixed,
it will be a reasonable tool.  You can use it effectively now if
you remember what not to do :-)

  - steve

hjanssen@cbnewse.att.com (hank janssen) (03/25/91)

From article <37090004@hpfcdc.HP.COM>, by koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren):

>    > I'm looking for a
>    > *real* gnu emacs, if possible -- one that handles lisp.
>
>> The only existing port of GNU Emacs to to the Amiga that I know of
>> is relatively unstable, and will probably break on your '030.
>
> The "real" GNU Emacs runs OK on an '030 (or at least, it does on
> mine).  It does, however, have some unstable parts.  I can crash
> it reliably by trying to use file completion several times in a row
> when it doesn't complete anything.  When those few things get fixed,
> it will be a reasonable tool.  You can use it effectively now if
> you remember what not to do :-)
>
>   - steve

I love GNU-EMACS but it does not perform at all well on my Amiga with
the GVP 030/50Mhz. It guru's on me on the strangest times, and sometimes
even refuses to start up at all. Even on my 68000 it has many problems.
Its a pitty since it is a nice editor.

As long as they don't fix it i will continue to use microemacs......

Hank.