[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Minix on Amiga 3000

bobcarp@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bob Carpenter) (03/21/91)

I recently purchased MINIX 1.5 for my Amiga.  However, I wasn't told that it
wouldn't work with An Amiga 3000 (MC68030 processor).  After many calls to
Prentice-Hall, I was finally told that they can't help me.  I was told to
contact the author (Andrew Taneneaum).  I was told, by another user, that ther
is a patch to make it work with my computer...but I need to find where to get
it.  Any help would be appreciated.  BTW...I do have the patch for putting
MINIX on a hard drive...don't know whether that works or not because I can't
get the main program to run anyway.

Bob Carpenter (708)898-3298

Paul Dickson <Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com> (03/22/91)

> I recently purchased MINIX 1.5 for my Amiga.  However, I wasn't told
> that it wouldn't work with An Amiga 3000 (MC68030 processor).

Minix for the Amiga makes too much specific use of the 68000 to be able
to work on non-68000 Amigas.  Some specific areas are the handling of
stack data after exceptions and the use of the upper 8 address bits as
encoding of interrupt vectors.  I believe there is a fixed binary only
version that fixes these problems that is FTPable from some place or I
can forward you the description of the source code fixes which I keep
from the minix mailing list.

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (03/26/91)

Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com (Paul Dickson) writes:

>> I recently purchased MINIX 1.5 for my Amiga.  However, I wasn't told
>> that it wouldn't work with An Amiga 3000 (MC68030 processor).

>Minix for the Amiga makes too much specific use of the 68000 to be able
>to work on non-68000 Amigas.  Some specific areas are the handling of
>stack data after exceptions and the use of the upper 8 address bits as
>encoding of interrupt vectors.  I believe there is a fixed binary only
>version that fixes these problems that is FTPable from some place or I
>can forward you the description of the source code fixes which I keep
>from the minix mailing list.

We're working on new versions continually, fixing bugs and adding features.
Our latest version has a harddisk driver which works with the A590, both with
SCSI and XT drives, but not yet very well with the A3000. I've added support
for the 68010, '020 and '030 to that version, but there still seem to be some
problems, maybe cache-related. Ralph Babel supplied me with some info on how
and when to invalidate '20 and '30 caches (Thanks Ralph!) and I will add some
code to do so very soon.

Everyone is very very welcome to try out our latest minix kernel on all the
bizarre amiga configurations he or she might have. Note that you must have
purchased minix to be able to use our new kernel, you can't ftp the complete
minix distribution, just the new minix.img and loader.
Our latest version can be ftpd from ftp.cs.vu.nl [130.37.24.6], in either
the directory /pub/raymond or /pub/sreiz/minix. Sorry about that, but it
is best to look in both directories and take the one with the most recent date.
Please let us know if it worked ok or not. We are very interested to hear
of your problems (preferably with exact screen output and as much extra info
about your system etc. as possible), and we are also very interested to hear
that it worked ok!

	Steven Reiz (sreiz@cs.vu.nl)