[comp.sys.amiga.misc] KS 2.0 for A1000

d88ricwe@odalix.ida.liu.se (Rickard Westman) (03/23/91)

>My dealer told me :) that A1000 users will *not* be able to use WB 2.0.
>Is this likely:
>
>a. Wrong

Yes, it's wrong.  It is possible to use 2.0 with A1000 *now*, if you
have at least 512K RAM at $200000 and have the disk based version of
KS 2.0 distributed to developers.  (I am not an official developer,
so I don't have it.)

If users will be able to run 2.0 in a way supported by Commodore is
another question.  Commodore *could* provide 2.0 to A1000 owners if
they wanted to.  This may not be the case, even though I hope they
will.

>b. Because Kickstart 2.x will be distributed only on ROMs.

Commodore will probably prefer users running 2.0 from ROM.

>c. Because the Kickstart daugtherboard doesn't have enough DRAM to hold
>   the larger Kickstart 2.x

This is true.  Only one half of Kickstart 2.0 would fit in the
daughterboard RAM.  Commodore could provide a Kickstart disk which
loads half the ROM image in WOM and half in RAM @ $200000.  Actually,
the first half would be loaded into WOM automatically.  When the boot
ROM code jumps into the WOM, it could check the checksum of the other
half.  If it was wrong it could be because the RAM image was corrupted
or never loaded.  In either case, the second half would be loaded from
disk.  Of course, expansion.library and trackdisk.device would have to
be located in the $FC0000 part for this to work.

I think this would be a good idea, but chances are Commodore wouldn't
think of it as worthwhile.  In that case I hope they will be kind
enough to make it possible for someone else to provide such a disk, by
locating the needed libraries/devices, as well as any unused space in
the $FC0000 part.
--
Rickard Westman, University of Linkoping, Sweden

f90angu@fy.chalmers.se (Andreas Gunnarsson) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.170907.26385@ida.liu.se> d88ricwe@odalix.ida.liu.se (Rickard Westman) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>Only one half of Kickstart 2.0 would fit in the
>daughterboard RAM.  Commodore could provide a Kickstart disk which
>loads half the ROM image in WOM and half in RAM @ $200000.  Actually,
>the first half would be loaded into WOM automatically.  When the boot
>ROM code jumps into the WOM, it could check the checksum of the other
>half.  If it was wrong it could be because the RAM image was corrupted
>or never loaded.  In either case, the second half would be loaded from
>disk.  Of course, expansion.library and trackdisk.device would have to
>be located in the $FC0000 part for this to work.
>
>I think this would be a good idea, but chances are Commodore wouldn't
>think of it as worthwhile.  In that case I hope they will be kind
>enough to make it possible for someone else to provide such a disk, by
>locating the needed libraries/devices, as well as any unused space in
>the $FC0000 part.
>--
>Rickard Westman, University of Linkoping, Sweden

Why not simply put the KS at $200000 and use the $fc0000-$ffffff  memory as
RAM. The only drawback is that if any program tries to write at $f80000-$fbffff
the RAM at $fc0000 would become ReadOnly, but no program should write in that
range anyway.
I just came to think about another drawback: the biggest memory chunk would
be 256K less, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

73 es 88 de SM7TLS          f90angu@fy.chalmers.se          Andreas Gunnarsson
-.--  ---  ..-    -..  ---    -.-  -.  ---  .--    --  ---  .-.  ...  .  ..--.
73 es 88 de SM7TLS          f90angu@fy.chalmers.se          Andreas Gunnarsson

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.035000.11891@fy.chalmers.se> f90angu@fy.chalmers.se (Andreas Gunnarsson) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>
>Why not simply put the KS at $200000 and use the $fc0000-$ffffff  memory as
>RAM. The only drawback is that if any program tries to write at $f80000-$fbffff
>the RAM at $fc0000 would become ReadOnly, but no program should write in that
>range anyway.
>I just came to think about another drawback: the biggest memory chunk would
>be 256K less, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Since running KS2.0 in an Amiga 1000 requires extra hardware (namely
memory) anyway, I have another solution.

The Frances board (by Brad Fowles) has a simple logic array that re-maps
the KS addresses $fc0000-$ffffff into addresses that are available on the
Frances memory board.  By pulling up one pin on a 74F244 and connecting
it to the un-translated address bit, this can be extended to re-map 512K
of KS addresses (or more, 1Meg. KS?).

Now, the non-developers version (Shipped with A3000) can be copied into
the address space pointed to by the Frances translation circuitry.
Initiate the ERKS (Enable Remap Kickstart) and execute the 2.0 ROM
image.

The only other modification that is necessary is to disconnect the RESET
line from the latch that DISables the remapping circuitry.  This nearly
drove me crazy until I checked the schematics and realized that when the
processor asserts a RESET, the kickstart re-mapping is turned off (2.0
asserts a RESET shortly into the ROM).

Now, once you have written your own program to shove the KS2.0 into Frances
memory and initialized everything correctly (trash the AFM prog)... voiala!
You can run 2.0!

--- Now for the rest ---

A similar address circuit could be made to slip in between the 68000 and
socket that would translate KS addresses to an address you have available!
This way, as long as C= distrubutes the 2.0ROM on disk... anyone will be
able to use it.

Disclaimer:
Keep in mind that if you intend to put the above idea into commercial
production that I will sue... unless you clear it with me FIRST! (SERIOUSLY)

* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           *                   \\\///030 *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
	    -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar24.070304.16395@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu
(Jeffrey W Davis) says:

>Since running KS2.0 in an Amiga 1000 requires extra hardware (namely
>memory) anyway, I have another solution.
>
>The Frances board (by Brad Fowles) has a simple logic array that re-maps
>the KS addresses $fc0000-$ffffff into addresses that are available on the
>Frances memory board.  By pulling up one pin on a 74F244 and connecting
>it to the un-translated address bit, this can be extended to re-map 512K
>of KS addresses (or more, 1Meg. KS?).

That works.  You'll need new boot rom to be able to boot up normally.

>Now, the non-developers version (Shipped with A3000) can be copied into
>the address space pointed to by the Frances translation circuitry.
>Initiate the ERKS (Enable Remap Kickstart) and execute the 2.0 ROM
>image.
>
>The only other modification that is necessary is to disconnect the RESET
>line from the latch that DISables the remapping circuitry.  This nearly
>drove me crazy until I checked the schematics and realized that when the
>processor asserts a RESET, the kickstart re-mapping is turned off (2.0
>asserts a RESET shortly into the ROM).

Did you got it to work ?

>Now, once you have written your own program to shove the KS2.0 into Frances
>memory and initialized everything correctly (trash the AFM prog)... voiala!
>You can run 2.0!
>
>--- Now for the rest ---
>
>A similar address circuit could be made to slip in between the 68000 and
>socket that would translate KS addresses to an address you have available!
>This way, as long as C= distrubutes the 2.0ROM on disk... anyone will be
>able to use it.

Easier way is to stick a 2.0 rom into the expansion port and over-ride the
internal decoding circuits over that range.  You might have to generate
*Dtack on your own, but that's easy.

Solution #2 is to hack the WCS board.  I did some work last summer.  Most of
the hardware was done.  Someone else was doing the new boot rom.  Unfortunately
the new rom has some minor bugs, I an not an assembly expert and was in the
position to fix it.  I have been waiting for the 2.0 to come out so that I can
test it out.

>Disclaimer:
>Keep in mind that if you intend to put the above idea into commercial
>production that I will sue... unless you clear it with me FIRST! (SERIOUSLY)

Did you come up with the idea first ?  Why do you have the authority ??

Sorry.  I posted about the Lucas/Frances hack idea at least half a year in
comp.sys.amiga.hardware first. (Summer of 1990  Someone tried it and it works)

Check it before you sue.  I hate lawyers and people suing others for someone
else's idea.  (Sounds like Apple)  If you sue anyone for this,  I make sure    t
your case is thrown out of court and the other party wins.  I don't mind people
putting it in anywhere as long as it is at a reasonable price for the process.
Straightly speaking it was there all along in the original design.  It is not
any major innovations, not anything the lawyers would risk.

Flame off.  Now back to regular progtramming and hardware hacking...

>* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
>* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
>*                           *                   \\\///030 *
>*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
>            -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

K. C. Lee
Elec. Eng. Grad. Student

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar24.070304.16395@en.ecn.purdue.edu> doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) writes:

[chomp chomp chomp ...]

>Since running KS2.0 in an Amiga 1000 requires extra hardware (namely
>memory) anyway, I have another solution.

[swallow swallow swallow ...]

>--- Now for the rest ---
>
>A similar address circuit could be made to slip in between the 68000 and
>socket that would translate KS addresses to an address you have available!
>This way, as long as C= distrubutes the 2.0ROM on disk... anyone will be
>able to use it.
>
>Disclaimer:
>Keep in mind that if you intend to put the above idea into commercial
>production that I will sue... unless you clear it with me FIRST! (SERIOUSLY)

So you claim to have a patent or copyright on basic MMU technology?
Seems pretty unlikely to me....
Besides, I would then counter sue you.  I thought of something similar
a year ago that would allow kick start roms to be put in a cartridge
( a la 2600 ) and let you plug in whatever version you wanted and switch
to it on the fly....  no case opening or chip switching required.

Soooooo, tthhhpppt!!!! to you.

Maybe your (SERIOUSLY) should switch to a few smileys..... :)

>* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
>* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
>*                           *                   \\\///030 *
>*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *

What a great legal system we have....

Joe Peck
peck@ral.rpi.edu

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (03/25/91)

In article <!a5flmb@rpi.edu> peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:
>In article <1991Mar24.070304.16395@en.ecn.purdue.edu> doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) writes:
>
>[chomp chomp chomp ...]
>
>>Disclaimer:
>>Keep in mind that if you intend to put the above idea into commercial
>>production that I will sue... unless you clear it with me FIRST! (SERIOUSLY)
>
>So you claim to have a patent or copyright on basic MMU technology?
>Seems pretty unlikely to me....
Well, OF COURSE I'm not talking about MY patent on MMU tech. this time :-)
But I do have a specific product and design in mind... it would probably go
into the public domain should the need arise though (no C= support on A1000).

>Besides, I would then counter sue you.  I thought of something similar
>a year ago that would allow kick start roms to be put in a cartridge
>( a la 2600 ) and let you plug in whatever version you wanted and switch
>to it on the fly....  no case opening or chip switching required.
>
>Soooooo, tthhhpppt!!!! to you.
Now your idea is totally different! Sooooo, tthhhpppt!!!!! back at ya...
WAIT a sec... this isn't alt.flame!?!?

>Maybe your (SERIOUSLY) should switch to a few smileys..... :)

Okay, MAYBE I forgot the smileys...

>What a great legal system we have....

Well... I'm not sure how great it is...

<DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/25/91)

>In article <1991Mar24.070304.16395@en.ecn.purdue.edu>,                        u
>doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.ed
>(Jeffrey W Davis) says:
>>
>>Now, the non-developers version (Shipped with A3000) can be copied into
>>the address space pointed to by the Frances translation circuitry.

Well, a f80,000 version can be copied into that address space. The A3000
version (taken literally) won't work, because it has A3000-specific
code.

But this is going to become very unimportant when someone makes a
relocatable version of 2.0, which is already easy to do. As a simple
example, you can make a RamKickable (disk resident) module version of
(say) trackdisk.device with a simple program that compares the developer
($200,000) and 3000-Kickstart (f80,000). By the way, the 2.0 trackdisk,
when used with the 2.0 disk.resource, works fine under 1.3. At some
point we'll have a version that loads as an executable file, whereever
you have free memory (although in practice not, because it would
fragment your memory).

Now if you steal my super-genius just-has-to-be-original ideas I'll
sue your mother!!! :-) [Remember       : ideas are worth NOTHING. If you
want to make money how about making a product]

-- Dan Babcock

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (03/27/91)

In article <91084.021755DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu> DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>...compare the developer ($200,000) and 3000-Kickstart (f80,000).

	Holy crow!!!  Do you really mean that the developer version of
Kickstart costs TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, and that the "release"
Kickstart for the A3000 will cost EIGHTY THOUSAND FRANCS???

	Wow, that's realy steep!  I think I'll stick with 1.3!

                                                        Dan

| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |