[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Amiga 1500

goddard@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Steve Goddard) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar24.051833.21480@isis.cs.du.edu>, swoodcoc@isis.UUCP
(Steven Markus Woodcock) writes:
>   Well, my understanding is that the A1500 is a purely British creation,
>intended for the markets there.  It's essentially just a stripped down A2000
>with two disk drives; no hard drive at all.  It's still got all the same
>capability, mind you, but it's a cheaper "bare bones" system.  The idea is
>that a lot of people want expandability but can't afford a system with a
>hard drive (all of the Amigas are MUCH more expensive in Europe), so C= came
>up with this idea instead.  The only other difference I'm aware of is a
>new sticker that says "A1500" on the front....

  Cynics might point out that about a year before (I think) C= released the
A1500 here in UK, a third party company released a product called an A1500
which was a new case for the A500. (consisted of a box + KB case on a
curly lead), plus a board with slots on it, etc. Seems odd to me that this
product was released in *this* country, and then C= release the A1500 name
clash only in *this* country.
BTW, I have no links with any of the above.

Steve the G.  (Steve Goddard)
  "You can lead a hacker to a terminal, but you can't *make* him code"