[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Mephisto) (03/27/91)

I hate this!  my internal drive has suddenly decided to find errors on everything

It started when I used one of those disk head cleaner thingys on it.
Does anyone know if those can mess up a drive, or is it coincidence that
my drive screwed up when it did?

-jeff
jra1@ra.msstate.edu

witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) (03/28/91)

jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Mephisto) writes:

>I hate this!  my internal drive has suddenly decided to find errors on everything

>It started when I used one of those disk head cleaner thingys on it.
>Does anyone know if those can mess up a drive, or is it coincidence that
>my drive screwed up when it did?

>-jeff
>jra1@ra.msstate.edu

     I've been wondering about those cleaners, too.  I looked at the ingredientslist for the solution; it's mostly alcohol, but they've added an alkali to the
mix, as well.  Is this actually better for the drive, or should I switch to the
91% alcohol I use on my tape player's heads, instead?

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.163630.5256@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) writes:
>jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Mephisto) writes:
>
>>I hate this!  my internal drive has suddenly decided to find errors on everything
>
>>It started when I used one of those disk head cleaner thingys on it.
>>Does anyone know if those can mess up a drive, or is it coincidence that
>>my drive screwed up when it did?
>
>>-jeff
>>jra1@ra.msstate.edu
>

>     I've been wondering about those cleaners, too.  I looked at the ingredientslist for the solution; it's mostly alcohol, but they've added an alkali to the
>mix, as well.  Is this actually better for the drive, or should I switch to the
>91% alcohol I use on my tape player's heads, instead?

	My experience with these cleaners is that the cleaning disk is some-
what abrasive and absorbant. Basically you wet the disk with the cleaning
solution and stick it in the drive. The head rests on the cleaning disk sur-
face and is cleaned as the disk rotates beneath it. The solution is normally
isoprene (sp?) alcohol (i.e. Teac tape head cleaner), because it does not
leave a residue when it dries.

	This problem you're having sounds strange. I doubt that the solution
is at fault.  Put a few drops on a piece of glass and let dry. Inspect for
residue (if you don't see anything there's no residue). This is a dumb ques-
tion, but you did wet the cleaner disk didn't you?

					Jeff

jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Mephisto) (03/28/91)

Thanks for all the replies about my disk drive problems.  I have now eliminated
the idea that it was the cleaning diskette.

Jeff