[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Fish disks on ux1, revised. Let's do pledges and be more organized

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Michael Schwager) (03/29/91)

> What you otter do is to collect donation pledges in a way almost, but
> not entirely unlike the way usenet votes are collected.  Just asking
> people to send you money is too haphazard; you might get $0, and you
> might get $40,000 or so, with which amount we don't entirely trust you. :-)
...(detailed discussion ommitted)...

Ok, this is a much better idea.  So, people... hold onto your bux!!!!
(I've cancelled my previous article).
Let's do this instead:

Send me your *pledges*...  email to schwager@mike.cs.uiuc.edu,

     Instructions for Emailing Pledges
     ---------------------------------
1. Send email to:  schwager@cs.uiuc.edu
     (other pertinent network data:)
     UUCP:{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager
     BITNET:schwager@mike.cs.uiuc.edu

2. ***please include the word "pledge" in the subject***
   case doesn't matter, and other words don't matter.

3. In the text of your message, please include:
     -Your name
     -a return email address (preferably one that works :-)
     -the amount of your pledge

4. Suggested amounts: $10 individual, $30 user group, $50 corporate
     ... (just pulled those figures off the top of my head, folks)
pledges and whatever else may (or may not) be happening wrt to the Fish
disk situation on ux1.cso.uiuc.edu... like when new disks are put online,
for example.

I'll collect pledges between now and the 26th of April, 1991.  We need $300
altogether for the next subscription.  It would be nice to have $250 more
to pay Lionel for the last bunch.  I'm including $50 of my own, so we need
$500 altogether.  I'll report how we're doing on the 12th of April, to the
Net and to all pledgers.  Also, keep in mind that the current subscription
is nearly out.  I don't think we have enough disks to make the next
shipment complete... so the sooner you get your pledges in to me, the
sooner we'll continue the subscription.

I think it might be nice to notify people when I upload disks and stuff, so
if you'd like to be on the fishdisks mailing list, send email to me or to

     fishdisks-request@cs.uiuc.edu

     ***please include the word "fish" in the subject***

(case insensitive).  Anybody who wants to could then reach anybody on the
mailing list by emailing to

     fishdisks@cs.uiuc.edu

if you wanted to check up on my integrity or make sure I wasn't laundering
the money or anything like this...

Finally, I've given some thought into where any extra money should go, were
we to have it.  I think reimbursing Lionel is still a good idea, since he's
300 bucks in the hole from the last bunch.  I was reading Amazing Computing
the other day, and they mentioned that they give Fred Fish a royalty from
disks sold by them.  So I think maybe it would be nice to give the extra
money to Fred; after all, he's the King Archiver.  But maybe I should just
hold onto it, for any subscriptions that follow.  It seems to be kinda
dependent on how much extra we would get... if there were $1000 in pledges,
it seems like then we could have $550 for disks, $250 to pay Lionel, and
then $200 for Fred.  Maybe pledgers could take a vote on it.  Well, I'm
just kicking ideas around here.  Tell you what, include along with your
pledge any ideas you might have of what we could do with any extra money,
and then if it turns out we have some, we could all talk about it...  or
rather, maybe just vote on it :-).

-Mike Schwager                             | Machine: Amiga 500, 3 MB RAM/30 HD
INTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu              | Bike: '83 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
UUCP:{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager| Band: Poi Dog Pondering      //
BITNET:schwager@mike.cs.uiuc.edu           | Hero: Robert Bly         \\ //
University of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci.| Planet: Earth             \X/Amiga