[comp.sys.amiga.misc] window switching

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) (03/22/91)

Does anyone know if the AmigaDOS OS allows for window manipulation with the
keyboard.  I know I can switch screens with Amiga hotkeys from a number of
different mouse utilities and can move the mouse using the arrow keys and
the amiga keys, but I want to take this one step further.

I'm looking for a FRS utility that allows for Amiga hotkey combinations to
flip windows.  When I have a number of CLI's on the screen at one time, it
would be more convenient to use a hotkey to flip to the window/cli that I
want instead of having to send one window back, and then bringing the other
window I need forward.

Thanx in advance,

Agitator
  #->

 "Caltech -- A Division of      rolee@hmcvax.bitnet              //    BITNET
     Harvey Mudd"               rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu     //   InterNet
 -------------- R E M E M B E R   B E I J I N G ------------\\-//------------
 IBM PC - Who wants a politically correct computer?          \X/  Only AMIGA!
 Roderick Lee         "The Professional Agitator"         Harvey Mudd College

rzv30@cccvm.ccc.amdahl.com (Rene Vega) (03/23/91)

There are a number of public domain or share ware screen hack programs that
also offer window switching capbilities. Two that come to mind are 'mackie' and
'dmouse'.

Rene Vega
Computer & Systems Architecture

In article <11345@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>Does anyone know if the AmigaDOS OS allows for window manipulation with the
>keyboard.  I know I can switch screens with Amiga hotkeys from a number of
>different mouse utilities and can move the mouse using the arrow keys and
>the amiga keys, but I want to take this one step further.
>
>I'm looking for a FRS utility that allows for Amiga hotkey combinations to
>flip windows.  When I have a number of CLI's on the screen at one time, it
>would be more convenient to use a hotkey to flip to the window/cli that I
>want instead of having to send one window back, and then bringing the other
>window I need forward.

You will have this in 2.0. There is a utility included to flip windows
plus make them active when they are in front. And this only affects
project and tool icons (so shells are included) to make really sense.

bengeult@ssc-vax (Greg Bengeult) (03/26/91)

In article <11345@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>I'm looking for a FRS utility that allows for Amiga hotkey combinations to
>flip windows...
>
>Agitator
>  #->

I didn't see any other responses to this, so I'll put in my $.02 worth:

I needed a utility like this a couple of years ago, so I wrote a little
input handler hack called 'pop' that lets you flip windows with a CTRL-p
keypress.  This just happens to interfere with emacs, so I have been
thinking of replacing CTRL-p with Left-Amiga-p, or something similar,
but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  At any rate, I could probably
email you a copy of the source/executable.  First, though, I thought I
would post this to see if 'pop' is of general interest to the net.
Depending on the volume of responses I get (email only, please, the net
is already busy enough) I will either send out copies or post to ab20
and comp.sources.amiga.

Please allow a generous amount of time for me to respond.  I do have a
real job too, and my boss can be a little picky about these things.

--

Greg A. Bengeult          UUCP:  ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bengeult       // //|
MailStop 8Y-62            INTERNET: bengeult@ssc-vax.boeing.com      // //||

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/01/91)

In article <3746@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> bengeult@ssc-vax.UUCP (Greg Bengeult) writes:

>In article <11345@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>>I'm looking for a FRS utility that allows for Amiga hotkey combinations to
>>flip windows...
>>
>>Agitator
>>  #->
>
>I didn't see any other responses to this, so I'll put in my $.02 worth:
>
>I needed a utility like this a couple of years ago, so I wrote a little
>input handler hack called 'pop' that lets you flip windows with a CTRL-p
>keypress.  This just happens to interfere with emacs, so I have been
>thinking of replacing CTRL-p with Left-Amiga-p, or something similar,
>but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  At any rate, I could probably
>email you a copy of the source/executable.  First, though, I thought I
>would post this to see if 'pop' is of general interest to the net.
>Depending on the volume of responses I get (email only, please, the net
>is already busy enough) I will either send out copies or post to ab20
>and comp.sources.amiga.
>
>Please allow a generous amount of time for me to respond.  I do have a
>real job too, and my boss can be a little picky about these things.
>
>--
>
>Greg A. Bengeult          UUCP:  ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bengeult       // //|
>MailStop 8Y-62            INTERNET: bengeult@ssc-vax.boeing.com      // //||
>P.O. Box 3999             FAX: (206) 773-8757                    \\ // //-||-
>Seattle, WA  98124-2499   TEL: (206) 773-8515                     \// //  ||
>|    The views expressed above aren't opinions -- they're facts (IMHO).     |
>

>--
>--
>
>Greg A. Bengeult          UUCP:  ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bengeult       // //|
>MailStop 8Y-62            INTERNET: bengeult@ssc-vax.boeing.com      // //||

  There is a great program called Switcher which activates when you press
both mouse buttons or a middle mouse button. The wondow pops up at the pointer
and lists either active screens or active windows on the current screen. It
gives names, sizes, etc. You can also launch pre defined programs that are
listed in a separate menu, as well as save the current screen as a bitmap
if you have a specifac iff.library (rename it as pic.library). It puts the
screen into ram. It os a really good program; I have 1.0.

David :)

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

David.Plummer@p0.f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (04/02/91)

In case no one replied as of yet, there is a utility on one of the
newer fish disks called Flip that allows you to use Amiga-M to flip
around between active screems, and Amiga-N to flip around among active
windows.

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70.0!David.Plummer