[net.music] Live Aid: Question

hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) (07/17/85)

Since all the concerts and records and money is going to help
the African people, why were there not any African artists
performing at the Live Aid concert.  There are many very
talented groups from Africa now, such as Fela, Franco, Toure Kunda,
Juluka, etc.  Were the African groups not asked to play?  Did
they offer to play?  Did they decide not to play?  Did I miss
them?  It seems ironic considering the purpose of the concerts.

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (07/19/85)

In article <985@hou2h.UUCP> hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) writes:
>Since all the concerts and records and money is going to help
>the African people, why were there not any African artists
>performing at the Live Aid concert.  There are many very
>talented groups from Africa now, such as Fela, Franco, Toure Kunda,
>Juluka, etc.  Were the African groups not asked to play?  Did
>they offer to play?  Did they decide not to play?  Did I miss
>them?  It seems ironic considering the purpose of the concerts.

No! No!  You've got it all wrong!  They're supposed to be on the receiving
end.  You get to see them play when they all get together five years from now
and do their "Africa for themselves" concert, or their "Africa for USA"
album.  I keep on hearing about starving musicians in New York.

                                  -etan