[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Walker I and II demos...

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/15/91)

RW1VSANU@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:

> I've also been looking for those 2 demos for quite some time.  (Actually, jus
> Walker since I don't have enough mem. to run Walker II - if it really exists)
> I can't believe that demos of such calibre would just disappear from the PD
> world without a trace.  Sure, some of the newer ray-traced animations really
> are something to look at (BoingThrows, DoctorA, Kahnankas, etc.), but I was
> hoping to get my hands on this classic to show off.  (I kinda was bragging
> about it to my IBM friends before I got my Amiga).  If you find out where the
> can be found, please let me know too...thanks.
>
>                                            RobBob
>                                            RW1VSANU@MIAMIU

I sent the Walker II demo to Ab20 over a year ago.  It's got to be in
the incoming/amiga/demos directory somewhere.  It's 2 whole disks.
Walker I is in there also I believe.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

lag@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jose Raffucci) (04/16/91)

Maybe they got snatched up like the entire walker demo did.  At least from
what I heard, lucasfilm said it was a no-no to distribute the thing.
Anyone know if the fate of the entire animation affected the two demos
as well?  I could be wrong about the whole thing, but it's what a
friend of mine told me.  Kinda makes sense since the demos have made
themselves pretty scarce.  Is this rumor true?  anyone?

-hOz
--
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  //  The Amigoids from hell,     lagnaf@rpitsmts.bitnet

cac5961@rouge.usl.edu (Castor Christian A) (04/16/91)

In article <k9jgtgl@rpi.edu> lag@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jose Raffucci) writes:

>Maybe they got snatched up like the entire walker demo did.  At least from
>what I heard, lucasfilm said it was a no-no to distribute the thing.
>Anyone know if the fate of the entire animation affected the two demos
>as well?  I could be wrong about the whole thing, but it's what a
>friend of mine told me.  Kinda makes sense since the demos have made
>themselves pretty scarce.  Is this rumor true?  anyone?

    I think that Lucasfilm said to the authors of the Walker demo
to stop using the "Walker" in future animations.  The two demos
already made, however, were allowed to continue their existance
on the public domain.    In fact, both Walker demos are still
available on Compuserve.
    The Walker II demo is available via ftp at ab20.larc.nasa.gov
on directory /amiga/demos/traditional.    Since there is so much
interest on the Walker I demo (and it is not available in any FTP
site I know), I'll upload it on ab20, on /incoming/amiga sometime
this weekend.

- chris c

  Christian Castor - cac5961@usl.edu or chris@usl.edu -  CIS: 73030,2734
  Plink: ChrisC - (318)232-2045 - Snail: PO Box 43402,Lafayette LA 70504

jollick@amiglynx.UUCP (Jim Ollick) (04/18/91)

I have the demos. If anyone is interested in them, let me know. I'll leave you
my address so you can send a SASE and disks.
                                                           Jim

dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us (Dave Hansen) (04/21/91)

>I've also been looking for those 2 demos for quite some time.  (Actually, just
>Walker since I don't have enough mem. to run Walker II - if it really exists).
>I can't believe that demos of such calibre would just disappear from the PD
>world without a trace.  Sure, some of the newer ray-traced animations really
>are something to look at (BoingThrows, DoctorA, Kahnankas, etc.), but I was
>hoping to get my hands on this classic to show off.  (I kinda was bragging
>about it to my IBM friends before I got my Amiga).  If you find out where they
>can be found, please let me know too...thanks.
>
>                                           RobBob
>                                           RW1VSANU@MIAMIU
Call MicroTech BBS @(708)851-3929 (Chicago Suburbs).  Walker-I should be
on-line.  Walker-II MAY be available as a special request.

voice: (708)691-4747             Internet:dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us