[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Using CDTV!

murphyd@ecst.csuchico.edu (David L. Murphy) (04/20/91)

Well today, 4-19-91 I went to Sacramento to see the CDTV player and
I was impressed.  Commodore included a lot more than I thought.  It
comes in a big box and says 1 year warenty on the side.  The remote
has the standard CD functions plus game/mouse controls.  Four buttons
like the Nintendo things.  There are a lot of ports on the back, in
fact it supports the following video modes:

   * RGB Analog
   * RGB Digital
   * S-VHS
   * Composite (COLOR)
   * RF Modulated, (TV)

I tried the Composite and it looked a lot clearer than the standard Amiga
composite port, plus it was in color.

There is also a slot in the front for a personal RAM card.  The setup
CD talks about it and showed a picture.  Looked like a credit card.

My favorite part of the machine was when we tried to play "Hiway to
danger zone" off the Top Gun CD and play the game "Wings" at the
same time.  IT WORKED!!!!.  It was very impressive.  I was able to
use all the CD functions too.  NOTE (Another game by discovery would
not allow the CD to play sound over the channels, so I guess it must
of used all the sound channels).

Another neat feature is the menu screen for the CD (music) player.  When
you put a CD in the drive, you can watch the animated CD on the screen and
see it start to spin and heads activate.  (IMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS).

Commodore also put a very nice screen on the beginning when it is waiting
for a disk, or CD.

The unit works with standard 3.5 drives, and the Tiny Tiger hard drive
works well with the unit.

There was no availble date when the Keyboard and mouse or KB / Trackball
would be available.

There are supposed to be close to 100 titles available, it comes with a
small book that lists some of them.

MIDI is built in, and it comes with a meg of RAM.  Basically is a 500 with
a CD built on top, with a few extra features.

EDUCATIONAL PRICE 784.00   LIST is 999.00

        ///           __  __  __  __   |                           \\\
       ///  /\        __||  ||  ||  |  |  David L. Murphy           \\\
  \\\ ///  /--\miga  |__ |__||__||__|  |  murphyd@csuchico.edu       \\\ ///
   \\\//                               |  murphyd@cscihp.UUCP         \\///

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.062103.5254@ecst.csuchico.edu> murphyd@ecst.csuchico.edu (David L. Murphy) writes:

> Well today, 4-19-91 I went to Sacramento to see the CDTV player and
> I was impressed.  Commodore included a lot more than I thought.  It
> comes in a big box and says 1 year warenty on the side.  The remote
> has the standard CD functions plus game/mouse controls.  Four buttons
> like the Nintendo things.  There are a lot of ports on the back, in
> fact it supports the following video modes:
>
>    * RGB Analog
>    * RGB Digital
>    * S-VHS
>    * Composite (COLOR)
>    * RF Modulated, (TV)

Does the RF Modulated (TV) have STEREO audio, MONO audio, or (I hope not) NO
audio?

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

murphyd@ecst.csuchico.edu (David L. Murphy) (04/22/91)

In article <david.0829@starsoft.hou.tx.us> david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) writes:

>Does the RF Modulated (TV) have STEREO audio, MONO audio, or (I hope not) NO
>audio?

Yes it does have audio, but I am not sure if stereo.