[comp.sys.amiga.misc] LOOKING FOR PUBLIC DOMAIN/SHAREWARE WORD PROCESSOR

swoodcoc@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven Markus Woodcock) (04/14/91)

In article <8117@idunno.Princeton.EDU> sksircar@shade.Princeton.EDU (Subrata Sircar) writes:
>I am relatively new to the Amiga world, and I couldn't find a FAQ or Welcome
>to posting.  Please direct me to such if they would suit my needs.
>
>I am looking for a public domain/shareware word processor for an Amiga 1000,
>with 256K memory (possibly expanding to 512 if that's the real answer) which
>will use the floppy drive as virtual memory.  This is essential, as the primary
>limitation with the current one is that it packs up shop and goes home when
>it runs out of memory.  If you can tell me where to find one, I'd be very
>grateful.  Please email to me, as I don't normally read this newsgroup.
>
>I have used ftp extensively to get UNIX and Mac software, and have access to
>UNIX, IBM PS/2's and Macs.  Please also tell me (once I've acquired the
>software from some friendly FTP site) what I must do to get the thing into a
>running Amiga binary.  Thanks very much!
>
>Subrata Sircar | sksircar@phoenix.princeton.edu |Prophet& SPAMIT Charter Member
>	I don't speak for Princeton, and they don't speak for me.
>"May their souls rot in easy-listening hell!" - Johnny Melnibone, GRIMJACK #76
>"I seem to suffer from irrelevant flashbacks." - Paul, PAUL THE SAMURAI #1

Subrata:

   Hiya!  I noticed your above posting about an A1000 you've got, and I've
got a few suggestions for you.

   First off, GET MORE MEMORY!  Basically you can't do much of anything with
the Amiga (any model) with only 256K.  The Amiga is sort of an unusual box;
it is really more of a "personal workstation" than anything else.  The more
memory, the better!  I don't know of ANYTHING beyond a few older games that
will run in only 256K.  I'm running with 1.5MB in my A1000, and believe me
I'm thinking seriously of getting more.

   Secondly, there are a number of good PD and commerical word processors
available--far too many to list here.  Check the Amiga Utilities or the
Amiga Productivity sections of some of your local BBS' for a good PD
word processor.

   I hope that helps...

Steven W.
ZZ
--
    "...Men will awake presently and be Men again, and colour and laughter and
 splendid living will return to a grey civilization. But that will only come

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.165953.24116@ariel.unm.edu> cs3871aa@triton.unm.edu (Student Class Account) writes:
>In article <8117@idunno.Princeton.EDU> sksircar@shade.Princeton.EDU (Subrata Sircar) writes:

>>I have used ftp extensively to get UNIX and Mac software, and have access to
>>UNIX, IBM PS/2's and Macs.  Please also tell me (once I've acquired the
>>software from some friendly FTP site) what I must do to get the thing into a
>>running Amiga binary.  Thanks very much!

>If anyone who has this info could post, I, for one, would be much obliged.  I
>have downloaded gobs of binaries for the Amiga, but can't get them to run, so
>they sit around on my Unix feed (severely annoying the system manager).  It
>takes me an hour to get something unpacked (unencoded, untangled, etc.) and
>then the silly thing won't run!  Sigh.

   If you are getting the files from a FTP site you should be able to directly
port it to the Amiga. Most of the files stored on the FTP sites I am aware of
are Amiga code that has been archived with lharc (or sometimes zoo). I just
'get' it from the FTP site, put it on a floppy, take it home, read the floppy,
unarc it, and run it. Never had a problem.
   If you are getting the files from comp.binaries.amiga or some site that is
archiving them, you will have to do a bit more massaging to get the Amiga file.
But it certainly shouldn't take an hour to do. Usually all that is necessary
is to use an editor to remove the header from each of the files, use 'sh' to
unshar the files that have been combined, and sometimes use uudecode to
decode some files that have been uuencoded (they usually have .uu on the end).
you might have to 'cat' the files together at the end. There is a unix script
posted to ab20 that will do all this for you. I believe it was called 'shtozoo'.
It automatically does all the stuff above and produces a .zoo file for you.
   If you have access to a FTP site you will generally find that everything in
comp.binaries.amiga turns up on ab20 shortly after (& sometimes before)
already massaged and in .lzh form. So you rarely ever need to do any of the
contortions you are going through. Those without FTP access are stuck with it.

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|