[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Reporting software bootlegging?

aoe@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (04/15/91)

I really hate to start another long notes discussion, but nothing would be
as effective in getting me the information I seek.  My stepfather in
Los Angeles has encountered a fellow bootlegging Amiga software, specifically
Superbase and Wordperfect (with Xerox'd manuals!).  I told him I'd remembered
that an organization (Software Publisher Association?) had been discussed a
few years back in a magazine which would prosecute these guys.  I haven't
tried to dig through the magazines I have as the phone number given may be out
of date anyway.  If anyone knows how to contact the afore mentioned
organization, please post a reply here or e-mail to me.

(P.S. I asked Software Etc. here locally and they didn't know!)

Alexander Elkins (aoe@hpfiaoe.fc.hp.com) Fort Collins, Colorado

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (04/16/91)

In article <101050001@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> aoe@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) writes:
>I really hate to start another long notes discussion, but nothing would be
>as effective in getting me the information I seek.  My stepfather in
>Los Angeles has encountered a fellow bootlegging Amiga software, specifically
>Superbase and Wordperfect (with Xerox'd manuals!).  I told him I'd remembered
>that an organization (Software Publisher Association?) had been discussed a
>few years back in a magazine which would prosecute these guys.

Generally, the SPA only goes after businesses that are breaking the
rules.  I don't know if they will go after an individual.

I like their strategy.  Once some business is reported to them, they
tell the business, "You have two choices:  let us come in and audit
you, or get sued by us."  "Auditing" consists of a team of SPA folks
running around to every microcomputer in the building, looking for
pirated copies of software on the disks.  Every time they find one,
they charge you full market cost for the program (i.e., you just
bought it).  Afterwards, you are a legitimate owner.  I can't remember
if they actually give you a copy or not.

Whatever.  There is an 800 number.  I don't know it, though.  I read
about their raids in the Wall Street Journal.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

aoe@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (04/22/91)