[comp.sys.amiga.misc] AT/XT what is the best bridge board.

hjanssen@cbnewse.att.com (hank janssen) (04/04/91)

I have asked this question a month or so ago, but i did not get
any replies whatoever. SO i am trying again.
I am at the point of getting a bridge board for my amiga 2000
but the question is which one. I think i have to go with the AT
bridge board. SInce i want to be capable of running Ventura, designer
pagemaker and coreldraw.
Is this board the right coice, If so can it run all of this software
I still than need an VGA card to display the graphics. Where
can i get such a card, if this at all exists and works with my amiga.

What are the main differences in speed/performances between the
AT and XT board.????

Questions questions questions, but any help would be apreciated.

Thanx,

Hank Janssen.
att!ihlpb!hjanssen
708-224-6049

jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) (04/05/91)

        yes that's the right choice for what you mention.  Yes it will
run the packages you mentioned.  You need a VGA if you want a VGA, or you
can go EGA and use you amiga monitor I believe.  Speed difference between
Xt and At boards is very noticable.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jackf
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jackf@nosc.mil
INET: jackf@pnet01.cts.com

Erik_Whiteway@resbbs.UUCP (Erik Whiteway) (04/06/91)

I have the xt,Bridge board and I think you should get a AT BBoard. I'm having
trouble upgradeing. With the xt you get 1meg and the speed is so much better
(XT-4.77MHz 8088, AT-8 MHz 80286). The AT BBoard(A2286) also has a high den.
drive.
  As for VGA, the BBoards use normal XT/AT cards(Only one AT slot). any vga
card should work.
                       hope this helps!
                                           Erik Whiteway

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) (04/06/91)

In article <8404@crash.cts.com> jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) writes:

>        yes that's the right choice for what you mention.  Yes it will
>run the packages you mentioned.  You need a VGA if you want a VGA, or you
>can go EGA and use you amiga monitor I believe.  Speed difference between
>Xt and At boards is very noticable.

Can you add stuff like the Soundblaster or something like that to the
bridgeboard?  Also I have an accelerator card (a Microsoft Mach20).
My problem is that, this card does not work with my Zenith XT compatible.
(i find out *after* bought it that it is not 100% hardware comp).  I want
to know if I can use it with the AT bridgeboard, that way I can switch all
my PC applications to my Amiga.

	Sri

Greg_Goss@mindlink.UUCP (Greg Goss) (04/09/91)

I remember a spate of people using add-in 386 (sx?) boards intended for
original IBMs.  I seem to recall that an XT bridge with 386 card ran much
faster and cost less than Commodore's 286 bridge.  The main limitations are
that you are limited to 8-bit video or HD cards.

.../greg

nzman@darkstar.UUCP (Nicholas J. Zimmerman) (04/27/91)

I am equally interested in this subject since I have an XT-Bridgeboard and
would like to speed it up or replace it.  I have an Amiga 2000 w/ no Hard
drive.  I would like to buy Quantum 210meg drive and partition 105/105
Amiga/DOS.  We use XT speed up boards at my office to extend life of PC's.
Since it was mentioned in this message that individuals have used such boards,
can you or anyone elaborate on which boards work and would I be able to
partion as I would like?

P.S. We use Quadram boards at my office.