[comp.sys.amiga.misc] PAL in 2.0?

nygardm@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Michael T. Nygard) (04/24/91)

Does anyone know how to get PAL on an NTSC A3000?  I've tried several of the
run-and-reboot varieties, but none seem to work.  I've tried 'BootMenu',
'PalBooter', 'Palcon', and 'bootpal'.  All gave me null results.
  One of the doc files did mention an alleged preferences option to do just
this, but I could not find any such beast.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Nygard
nygardm@coil.cco.caltech.edu

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.045201.14387@nntp-server.caltech.edu> nygardm@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Michael T. Nygard) writes:
>Does anyone know how to get PAL on an NTSC A3000?  I've tried several of the
>run-and-reboot varieties, but none seem to work.  I've tried 'BootMenu',
>'PalBooter', 'Palcon', and 'bootpal'.  All gave me null results.
>  One of the doc files did mention an alleged preferences option to do just
>this, but I could not find any such beast.

Actually, you don't need a PD hack, WB2.0 already has it (as they say, "It's
in there!"  :-) )  Doc files?  It's quite explicit in your A3000 paper docs.
(You did get those when you picked up your A3000, right?)

1. From Workbench, open the MonitorStore drawer in the system partition
or Extras2.0 floppy.
2. Drag the PAL monitor icon into your WBStartup drawer on your boot
partition or floppy.
3. Make sure the Mode_Names program is also in the WBStartup drawer.
4. Reboot.
5. Now enter ScreenMode preferences program.  You should see new entries for
PAL modes.
6. Select one and click on Save or Use.  The screen should change to the new
PAL mode.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.045201.14387@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, nygardm@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Michael T. Nygard) writes:
> Does anyone know how to get PAL on an NTSC A3000?  I've tried several of the
> run-and-reboot varieties, but none seem to work.  I've tried 'BootMenu',
> 'PalBooter', 'Palcon', and 'bootpal'.  All gave me null results.
>   One of the doc files did mention an alleged preferences option to do just
> this, but I could not find any such beast.

I was pretty certain BootMenu wouldn't run under 2.0 (in fact I said
as much in the docs if I remember right) - looks like I'm right. From
memory they've altered the way Cold/CoolCapture works (now if someone
could just send me some docs on _how_ it's changed I could make BootMenu2
work under 2.0 :-).

You should be able to get PAL via preferences under 2.0 (though you will
need to add the right monitor to the 'monitor store'). Of course this isn't
of much use for things that boot from a non-dos disk....

your options
  - put a hardware NTSC/PAL switch in ( a neat solution, but if your
    3000s still under warranty and/or you dislike hacking around inside
    exenpensive machines no go..)
  - wait for me to fix BootMenu (this shouldn't take long given the
    appropriate info).

btw - when you say BootMenu didn't work, did it cause the machine to
lockup on reboot, or did _nothing_ happen (i.e. it rebooted as per
normal)?

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.045201.14387@nntp-server.caltech.edu> nygardm@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Michael T. Nygard) writes:
>Does anyone know how to get PAL on an NTSC A3000?  I've tried several of the
>run-and-reboot varieties, but none seem to work.  I've tried 'BootMenu',
>'PalBooter', 'Palcon', and 'bootpal'.  All gave me null results.
>  One of the doc files did mention an alleged preferences option to do just
>this, but I could not find any such beast.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Mike Nygard
>nygardm@coil.cco.caltech.edu

  I think you have to move some sort of PAL icon from one directory to
another in order for it to be recognized by the screen preferences program.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.