[comp.sys.amiga.misc] THINKER Re: Hypertext -- REVIEW

Just want to mention in passing that there _does_ exist a commercial
hypertext product for the Amiga, called Thinker, advertised in several
of the Amiga magazines, and relatively moderately priced ($80). The
included graphics software is total garbage, but the hypertext package
itself seems rock solid and is a lot of fun.

If about 50,000 of you rag on me constantly, I might get the review
written that I promised the author back in August. What I wouldn't give
for a working mind.

Kent, the man from xanth.

GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr27.005035.12723@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
(Kent Paul Dolan) says:
>Just want to mention in passing that there _does_ exist a commercial
>hypertext product for the Amiga, called Thinker, advertised in several
>of the Amiga magazines, and relatively moderately priced ($80). The
>included graphics software is total garbage, but the hypertext package
>itself seems rock solid and is a lot of fun.
Yes, Thinker is a solid product, but the intent is quite different from
HT.  First off, Thinker is also an editor, not just a hypertext program
(which is fine if you like Thinker as an editor).  Second, Thinker is
intended for _very_ large documents and so it uses some kind of buffering
scheme to keep only a part of the file in memory at once.  This is great if
you have a nice fast hard disk, but with floppies it is unbearable.  Third,
Thinker in the last incarnation I used was 165K in size.  HT is < 45K in
size, something that all of us with only 1 meg of memory have to take into
consideration.

Thinker is an interesting product and does have some features I wish were
in HT.  You really have to look and see what you want to do with hypertext
to decide which is appropriate.  I don't like Thinker as an editor, and
so wouldn't want to use it.  Thinker also keeps your files in a proprietary
(binary) format, something I don't appreciate too much, but then again it
can include graphics directly in the document (whereas HT would just
have the picture displayed).  Like I said, you need to look at the two
and see which one suits your needs better.

>If about 50,000 of you rag on me constantly, I might get the review
>written that I promised the author back in August. What I wouldn't give
Mike Meyer already wrote a very nice review for the hypermedia mailing
list.  I'll try and forward that along to the net (or maybe mike can
re-post it here).

--dominic

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (04/30/91)

In article <91118.163414GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu> GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu writes:
   >If about 50,000 of you rag on me constantly, I might get the review
   >written that I promised the author back in August. What I wouldn't give
   Mike Meyer already wrote a very nice review for the hypermedia mailing
   list.  I'll try and forward that along to the net (or maybe mike can
   re-post it here).

Here's that article. I'd still like to see a formal review from Kent.

After-the-fact-Notes:

The thinker 2.0 demo is now available for FTP.

The last few paragraphs are talking about my offline bix reader that
runs in thinker. It's been significantly expanded since then, and I
may actually release sometime soon...

	<mike

cc: hyperami@mento.acs.unc.edu
Subject: Thinker summary
Ultrix: Will drive you to drink.
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 10:52:57 PDT
From: Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer <mwm>

Apparently, this didn't make it out. Apologies if you've seen it before.

The BADGE meeting for October was on the 18th. The featured speaker
was Allan Baumberger, the author of Thinker, demoing Thinker and
discussing the economics of marketing software out of your house. For
this summary, the latter part of the talk will be ignored.

The software was run on my 3000, with demos running from the internal
floppy, provided by Alan. The display was SLACs RGB projection system.

Thinker is a true "chunky" hypertext system, built into a standard
outliner program. It's "chunky" because the smallest unit that a link
can point at is a statement. This is just a chunk of text, with an
optional label. Statements are also the most basic unit of the
outliner. All the standard outliner facilities are there - adding
subordinate statements; moving a statement and all it's subordinate
statements; sorting/moving/deleteing a group of statements at the same
level along with their subordinate statements, etc.

Labels on statements are what make them targets for hypertext links.
A label is text surrounded by parenthesis at the beginning of a
statement. Multiple labels can be added to a statement as comma
separated strings in the parentheses. Labels can be either displayed
or hidden while reading the document. A straight text link is a file
name and a label in that file.

Displaying a statement by label can happen in a number of ways, the
most useful being by clicking on text in a document. The standard way
to denote a target is to surround the text by angle brackets. This
overrides the other alternatives. Clicking on plain text causes the
word around the mouse pointer to be used as a target, and a branch to
that label is attempted. Finally, 2.0 introduces the ability to have
text in a different style (italic, bold, underscored, different
colors), and all contiguous text in something other than the default
style can be treated as a target to branch to.

The simplest targets are plain labels. The current document is
searched for them. A different thinker document can be searched by
prepending the file name and a comma. This is not a simple word, and
must use angle brackets or text styles. CLI commands can be issued,
and ARexx ports addressed as targets. This allows communications with
other ARexx-capable programs, including launching them. There's an
object-oriented drawing program included with Thinker that
demonstrates these capabilities.

Thinker opens an ARexx port, and can accept commands from it. The
commands may update the display, but don't have to. This allows
programs capable of sending ARexx commands (the draw program mentioned
previously) to cause Thinker to display text associated with some
action on the draw program. Thinker can be run in a mode with no open
window for database updates if so desired. The ARexx interface grew,
and wasn't really designed. This causes unexpected problems and
limitations in the system.

ILBM images can be linked to, or included directly in a Thinker
window. You can't have links from inside the image, though. However,
TinyDraw allows ARexx commands to be attached to objects, which can
cause messages to be sent to Thinker. Thus, you can have images that
invoke text, and vice versa.

Various options include whether you jump based on text on a single
click or a double click; whether jumps just happen or there's a
confirm step that allows the users to choose a window; and a
non-confirmed jump goes to a default window for all such jumps, or
happens in the active window.

The major drawback is that Thinker doesn't have a reader, and isn't
in widespread usage. That means that you either have to buy copies of
Thinker for everyone who needs one or limit yourself to the
capabilities of the demo version. This means that you can't save
documents, and the largest document that can be handled is something
under 100K in size (supposedly, the thinker demo is going to appear on
an FTP site in the near future).

The Thinker-based BIX reader is primarily a database. It uses the
outline features of Thinker to mimic the BIX message database
structure. There's an index file of new articles that is used to keep
track of what has and hasn't been read.  Each message has a target for
finding the the message it's a comment on, so that going back is a
matter of clicking on that target.

The interface is driven by function keys, as Thinker doesn't provide
any simpler ways to run ARexx macros.  F1 deletes the index entry and
goes to the next message; F2 moves the index entry to save it, and
goes to the next entry. F3 goes back to the current index entry. It
works fine as a means of reading the messages sequentially, and
provides the search facitilies of Thinker to the database.

Next month is the last HyperThingy talk at BADGE scheduled so far, a
demo of presentation building with AmigaVision. I'll post a similar
summary after that.
--
Kiss me with your mouth.				Mike Meyer
Your love is better than wine.				mwm@pa.dec.com