[comp.sys.amiga.misc] GnuEmacs for Amiga

rtsoule@athena.mit.edu (Ralph T Soule) (04/26/91)

Just recently, I found out about the emacsbin098.lzh on ab20. Having suffered
the agony of learning this program, I it would be nice to use a more up to
date version on the amiga than 3.6. Ver 3.10 is unsat because it only opens a
24 or so line window on the workbench. Anyway, I tried to unlharc the above
archive and it produces a file called temacs. When you type temacs at the
cli, the program complains about a missing lisp library. This library does
not come with the archive, so does anyone know where you can get it?

Thanks,
Ralph

rtsoule@athena.mit.edu

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/26/91)

In article <RTSOULE.91Apr26082737@cutty-sark.mit.edu> rtsoule@athena.mit.edu (Ralph T Soule) writes:

>Just recently, I found out about the emacsbin098.lzh on ab20. Having suffered
>the agony of learning this program, I it would be nice to use a more up to
>date version on the amiga than 3.6. Ver 3.10 is unsat because it only opens a
>24 or so line window on the workbench. Anyway, I tried to unlharc the above
>archive and it produces a file called temacs. When you type temacs at the
>cli, the program complains about a missing lisp library. This library does
>not come with the archive, so does anyone know where you can get it?

Get it from the system where you learned gnuemacs.  It is Lisp code, which
is the same on any system.

You need to provide a correct path in your .emacs file that points to your
lisp library directory, like so:

;; .emacs Init File
(setq load-path '("/mnt/swarren/bin/emacs" "/usr/local/gnumacs.18.57/lisp" "/usr/local/gnumacs/lisp"))

[...etc...]

The first path is to my private emacs lisp directory.  The second path is to
an alternative lisp directory for when we were testing a new version.  The
third path is our standard lisp directory for emacs on our system.  I think
that the lisp library functions for new versions should still run on older
versions of emacs.  (I think)
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com
--

podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr26.130049.16166@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com
(Steve Warren) writes:

|>The first path is to my private emacs lisp directory.  The second path is to
|>an alternative lisp directory for when we were testing a new version.  The
|>third path is our standard lisp directory for emacs on our system.  I think
|>that the lisp library functions for new versions should still run on older
|>versions of emacs.  (I think)

Yup, they work.  But the lack of documentation is a pain.

|>            _.
|>--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
|>             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com
|>--

Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Operator, S.U.N.Y. Binghamton Computer Services
podop03@BINGSUNS.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (SunOS 4.1)   +---------------------------+
PODOP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VAX/VMS 5.3) |Opinions expressed here are|
TJW3124@BINGTJW.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/IS CMS)    |my own and do not represent|
BG7523@BINGVMA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/SP CMS)     |those of this organization |