[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Replacement mouse for A1000

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr19.171553.1697@cbnewsl.att.com> saify@cbnewsl.att.com (saify.lanewala) writes:

   What replacement mice are recommended for an Amiga 1000?  My
   original mouse seems to be having fits occasionally.  After
   4 years, I suppose it's time has come....

Well, this crossed my desk a while back.

This file is a short description of what it how to buy a Logitech
mouse for an Amiga. It worked for me - right now, I'm using a logitech
trackman, bus version, on an Amiga 3000.

The instructions assume you have some basic soldering/wiring skills.
If you don't, you might not want to try this. Whether you do or not,
it's your mouse, your Amiga, and your workmanship. If you mess up and
destroy something, it's your problem.

1) Obtain a logitech mouse in the bus version. I've only seen the
trackman and mouseman in this version; others may or may not be
available. Best bet is to just buy the bus mouse from a local store
with a good return policy. Just remove the mouse; save everything
else for later use.

2) Obtain a femal 9-pin D connector and hood with strain relief for
same. I (and several others) spent quite a bit of time trying to find
connectors for the logitech mouse, so you could do this without making
the mouse unusable on an IBM PC.  After a total of probably more than
a months time, we found nothing. So you're going to have to cut the
cable and put your own connector on it. It looks better that way
anyway.

3) Cut the cable short of the mouse, and solder the female D connector
on using the following color scheme:

	Pinout	Color	Alternate	Signal
	---	------	---------	----------------------------
	 1	Orange	Pink		X1
	 2	Brown			Y1
	 3	Yellow			X2
	 4	Red			Y2
	 5	Violet	Blue		Middle button
	 6	Green			Left button
	 7	Black			+5 volts
	 8	White			Ground
	 9	Grey			Right button

The "Color" is what is in the manual, and what I found in the
trackman. The "alternate" is what has been seen in some mice. "Signal"
is there for your edification, or for the adventurous to try modifying
someone elses bus mouse.

Warning: you can muck up anything but pins 7 & 8 (black and white; +5
volts and ground) without damaging anything. Get either of these
wrong, and you could fry both ends of the cable. Check it three times.

4) Test it, and see how it works. Turn off your Amiga, plug it in,
power up, and try it out.

Warning II: Most Amiga mice have plastic around the D connector. This
is not true for most parts store hoods. While plugging and unplugging
an Amiga mouse from an Amiga with its power on is relatively safe (not
recommended, though), a metallic connector can easily short things
out, frying your Amiga or the mouse. Be very sure to have your Amiga
turned off when plugging or unplugging a mouse with a metallic case.

Hints: if the mouse just jiggles around, check pins 2 & 3. If it goes
up when it should go down, 1 & 3. Left instead of right, 2 & 4.

5) Shut everything down, put the hood and strain relief on the cable,
connect it back up, and enjoy the mouse.

6) Notice that your mouse is now unusable on an IBM PC. Call Logitech
customer service, and order a replacment for it. Use the serial number
off the mouse you've got, and pay by credit card.

7) When the replacement mouse shows up, drop it in the box with the
useless hardware & software that came with your mouse, and return it
to the store that purchased it (told you to choose a store with a good
return policy).
--
Don't tell me how to live my life			Mike Meyer
Don't tell me what to do				mwm@pa.dec.com

Don't tell me what to do				mwm@pa.det.com

swoodcoc@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven Markus Woodcock) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.171553.1697@cbnewsl.att.com> saify@cbnewsl.att.com (saify.lanewala) writes:
>What replacement mice are recommended for an Amiga 1000?  My
>original mouse seems to be having fits occasionally.  After
>4 years, I suppose it's time has come....
>
>Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>Saify Lanewala
>att!attunix!stl

Saify:

   My A1000 mouse finally gave up the ghost just before Thanksgiving of last
year, so for Xmas I gave myself a Golden Image Optical.  I HIGHLY recommend
it--three button (for Unix applications, if you ever need it), 300 dpi
resolution, very reliable, feels great.

Steven W.

--
    "...Men will awake presently and be Men again, and colour and laughter and
 splendid living will return to a grey civilization. But that will only come

alec_vondjidis@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Alec Vondjidis) (04/28/91)

In article #172731 >mwm@raven.pakdec.com says:
>Well, this crossed my desk a while back.
>
>This file is a short description of what it how to buy a Logitech
>mouse for an Amiga. It worked for me - right now, I'm using a logitech
>trackman, bus version, on an Amiga 3000.
>     >The instructions assume you have some basic soldering/wiring skills
> A bunch of interesting instructions
>5) Shut everything down, put the hood and strain relief on the cable,
>  71: connect it back up, and enjoy the mouse
>6) Notice that your mouse is now unusable on an IBM PC. Call Logitech
>customer service, and order a replacment for it. Use the serial number
>off the mouse you've got, and pay by credit card.  >7) When the replacement
>mouse shows up, drop it in the box with the
>useless hardware & software that came with your mouse, and return it
>to the store that purchased it (told you to choose a store with a good
>return policy)
>Don't tell me how to live my lifeMike Meyer
>Don't tell me what to domwm@pa.det.com
>Repression is always brought aboutdecwrl!mwm
>by people with politics and attitudes li

Well, that is certainly a nice way to look at life, kinda like have your mouse
and eat it too, heh?

My dear friend if I was Logitech I'ld sue the pants off you (if I could). What
you are suggesting if not outright illegal is certainly outright dishonest.
It is nice people like you that contribute to mice costing $100 rather than
$80, or less!  If you generate extra expences for the companies involved,
guess who ends up paying for them.  I don't enjoy paying extra for you or
anyone else that follows your advice.

                 ___  ___
      /\   |    |    |       GEnie: P.VONDJIDIS1
     /__\  |    |--  |      Usenet: alec_vondjidis@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca
    /    \ |___ |___ |___

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (04/30/91)

In article <alec_vondjidis.6685@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca> alec_vondjidis@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Alec Vondjidis) writes:
   My dear friend if I was Logitech I'ld sue the pants off you (if I could).
   What you are suggesting if not outright illegal is certainly outright
   dishonest.

Uh - make up your mind. Something can't be both not illegal and
dishonest. Now, what I did was scummy and immoral, but that's my
choice. Of course, if Logitech weren't being scummy and immoral in the
first place, I wouldn't have resorted to what I did.

   It is nice people like you that contribute to mice costing $100 rather than
   $80, or less!

How did I cost Logitech any money? And where do you buy mice that cost
$100? Most of the ones I see are between $50 and $80.

   If you generate extra expences for the companies involved,
   guess who ends up paying for them.

Their customers. Of which I'm one. On the other hand, why should I
have to pay for a bus card can't be plugged into my computer, and
software that won't run on it?

   I don't enjoy paying extra for you or anyone else that follows your advice.

I don't enjoy paying for hardware and software I can't use. That's why
I spent hours on the phone to Logitech, trying to convince them to
sell me what I wanted without the subterfuge. That certainly cost them
a handfull of money; it cost me a handfull of time and money.
Encouraging others to do what I did might save them money in the long
run, as opposed to people trying to talk them into selling the mouse.

It seems that Logitech just doesn't want to do things that way,
though.  Logitech won't sell you a mouse without the extra hardware
and software, except as a replacement. They won't sell you a
replacement unless you've got serial & model numbers from the one
you're replacing. The managers I talked to didn't want to believe that
you could plug a Logitech mouse into anything but a Logitech card.

As far as I'm concerned, Logitech deserves to have this kind of stuff
pulled on them until they change their attitude. Had I not been able
to play the return game, I would have called Logitech support, and
bounced the board/software off of them because they wouldn't work in
my computer until they got sick of it. It's not a legit protest
because I profited from it, but it's in the same spirit.

	<mike
--
So this is where the future lies			Mike Meyer
In a beer gut belly; In an open fly			mwm@pa.dec.com

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/30/91)

In article <MWM.91Apr29130937@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <alec_vondjidis.6685@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca> alec_vondjidis@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Alec Vondjidis) writes:
>   My dear friend if I was Logitech I'ld sue the pants off you (if I could).
>   What you are suggesting if not outright illegal is certainly outright
>   dishonest.
>
>Uh - make up your mind. Something can't be both not illegal and
>dishonest. Now, what I did was scummy and immoral, but that's my
>choice. Of course, if Logitech weren't being scummy and immoral in the
>first place, I wouldn't have resorted to what I did.
                                [...]
Uh, Mike, I have to admit, when I first read your post I was thinking you
were doing something dishonest and scummy too.  I didn't flame because I
read your postings here and it seemed out of character for you. Now I
understand what you were doing.

You see, I thought you were getting your mouse for free.  It wasn't clear
from your posting that you were just trying to buy the mouse without all
the extranious support electronics.

*Now* I understand that what you did was to buy the IBM mouse, modify the
mouse portion of it, so it would work in your Amiga, and then *purchased*
the replacement part to replace the one you put into your Amiga.  Then you
returned the (new) mouse with all the unneeded parts to get your original
purchase price back.  You still payed Logitech for the part that you kept.

Personally I see nothing scummy or immoral about what you did.  This was
nothing but creative bureaucracy-busting.  You have no moral imperative to
abide by the spirit of their rules, when they have provided a perfectly
legitimate way to get what you needed without violating the letter of their
rules.

Good job, Mike.
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com