[comp.sys.amiga.misc] A virus that popped up on my 3000's hard drive

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (04/24/91)

I practice safe software, never running programs from BBSs, never
swapping software with pirates, etc.  However, the 3000 that we do our
commercial development on was struck by a virus today.  When starting
ced (CygnusEd), I got a black screen with thick white letters saying
something along the lines of "Computer Viruses are a horrible Disease...
This is the Cure" with something else that went by so quick I couldn't
read it.  The next time I rebooted, I got a 1-2 second pause before
any program ran, and the Amiga ignored my system-configuration file.

Looking around, I found a file in DEVS: with an apparently blank file
name ("<LF><LF><LF>") which was tricky to delete.  Once it was removed,
my system went back to normal... apparently.  The "Computer Viruses
are a Disease" message has come back three times since then, so the
darn virus is still alive, hiding in there somewhere.  It also modified
"setpatch", the first line in my startup-sequence, to be some mysterious
chunk of code.

All this is enormously surprising, because:
  1. The only floppies that have entered my machine lately are the SAS/C
5.1 upgrade disks, which are SURELY virus-free!
  2. This is on a 3000 under 2.0, which I doubt any viruses are intended
to survive in.  Perhaps that's why I was able to cure the symptoms but
not the disease.

  Can someone help me extinguish this thing?  And why haven't I seen even
a MENTION of viruses in any Amiga group in months?  Were they all supposedly
exterminated with some super-virus-killer?

--------------
Ben in San Jose, trying to escape this horrible city.

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (04/26/91)

>ced (CygnusEd), I got a black screen with thick white letters saying
>something along the lines of "Computer Viruses are a horrible Disease...
>This is the Cure" with something else that went by so quick I couldn't
>read it.  The next time I rebooted, I got a 1-2 second pause before
>any program ran, and the Amiga ignored my system-configuration file.
>
>Looking around, I found a file in DEVS: with an apparently blank file
>name ("<LF><LF><LF>") which was tricky to delete.  Once it was removed,
>my system went back to normal... apparently.  The "Computer Viruses
>are a Disease" message has come back three times since then, so the
>darn virus is still alive, hiding in there somewhere.  It also modified
>"setpatch", the first line in my startup-sequence, to be some mysterious
>chunk of code.

I've been a victim of this virus too. What it does when started is the
following: Load the startup-sequence, check "what is the first command?"
hmm.. setpatch.. ok, then I'll call myself "setpatch" that way I will always
be started on every boot and this without changing the startup-sequence.
But.. the user will surely notice if the first command is not executed, so
I'll copy it to the devs directory (nobody makes a dir of it anyway, but to
be sure I'll call it "     " so it won't appear on a dir)
The virus, wich now is called "setpatch" (or whatever) will, after installed
in memory, always run 'devs/"      "' so everything works normally.

When you deleted that file in devs you actually removed setpatch.
The real cure is deleting setpatch or whatever you have first in
startup-sequence then rename the mysterious DEVS-file to that name.

/$DR.HEX$

peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (04/27/91)

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:

>I practice safe software, never running programs from BBSs, never
>swapping software with pirates, etc.  However, the 3000 that we do our
>commercial development on was struck by a virus today.  When starting
>ced (CygnusEd), I got a black screen with thick white letters saying
>something along the lines of "Computer Viruses are a horrible Disease...
>This is the Cure" with something else that went by so quick I couldn't
>read it.  The next time I rebooted, I got a 1-2 second pause before
>any program ran, and the Amiga ignored my system-configuration file.

>Looking around, I found a file in DEVS: with an apparently blank file
>name ("<LF><LF><LF>") which was tricky to delete.  Once it was removed,
>my system went back to normal... apparently.  The "Computer Viruses
>are a Disease" message has come back three times since then, so the
>darn virus is still alive, hiding in there somewhere.  It also modified
>"setpatch", the first line in my startup-sequence, to be some mysterious
>chunk of code.

I beleive the virus that you describe is called "BGS 9" or something..
It is a file virus.. It creates a file with unprintable characters,
and either puts it in devs and runs it from the startup-sequence, or
it renames a particular file (first in startup-sequence), puts it's code
in it's place and runs the renamed version.

You need to locate it, and delete it.. or preferably get a virus killer
that can deal with it...  Be warned: It spreads like wildfire!
It could be in multiple places on the Hard Disk, and probably not in any
bootblocks on your disks....  It takes a LONG time to get rid of if it gets
very far...

--
Peter Wemm
peter@cs.curtin.edu.au  (Home) +61-9-450-5243

rjlov@ecr.mu.oz.au (Richard James LOVEJOY) (04/30/91)

	This virus could be the ttv1 link virus. It searches the file s/startup-sequence, and puts the first file named therein as a blank line in either the main or devs directories. It then replaces the first file with itself. If it is this virus, the first command in your startup-sequence will be 2608 bytes in length, and this is the actual virus. The blank line is simply an innocent program renamed.