[comp.sys.amiga.misc] palboot, please.

u3369429@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Michael Bednarek) (04/30/91)

A few days ago, I asked whether it might be possible to persuade my old
trusty NTSC A1000 to run PAL programs, and dear hb136@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU (Herb
Brown) hinted at palboot, fastpal, ntsc-pal and BootMenu. I think that
ntsc-pal works with the ECS which of course I don't have.

I looked at ab20, and they had something called palboot4.wrp. I don't
have warp, so I looked further and they also had lhwarp.lzh. I don't
have lzh, so I looked further and they had lz091.exe. I proceeded to `get'
it (type binary), and Kermit'ed it (binary) to my A1000. It didn't run;
error 121.

So, could some kind soul please let me know whether she/he is prepared
to mail me a uuencoded copy of palboot?

Thanks.
--
Michael Bednarek,  Big River Ski Lodge  Caravan Park,  Seelands      ///
Grafton Base Hospital, Grafton 2460, AUS, Phone: +61 66 44 9324     ///

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.111525.1965@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> u3369429@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>A few days ago, I asked whether it might be possible to persuade my old
>trusty NTSC A1000 to run PAL programs, and dear hb136@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU (Herb
>Brown) hinted at palboot, fastpal, ntsc-pal and BootMenu. I think that
>ntsc-pal works with the ECS which of course I don't have.

Ooops.  All PAL booting programs require the ECS Agnus which your
A1000 does not and cannot use (different chip carrier and support
circuitry) unless you have a third-party upgrade board like the
Rejuvenator.  It is my understanding that in order for your stock A1000
to display PAL, you need the PAL-specific (DIP or thin) Agnus.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

mascot@bnr.ca (Scott Mason) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.173045.11500@cs.cornell.edu> johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.111525.1965@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> u3369429@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>
>Ooops.  All PAL booting programs require the ECS Agnus which your
>A1000 does not and cannot use (different chip carrier and support
>circuitry) unless you have a third-party upgrade board like the
>Rejuvenator.  It is my understanding that in order for your stock A1000
>to display PAL, you need the PAL-specific (DIP or thin) Agnus.

The copy of Tobias Trek that I received (it's a PAL game) included a
program to run the game in interlace mode. It doesn't fill the entire
screen that way, and of course it's in interlace, but you can play it.