[comp.sys.amiga.misc] What do you put in your Startup-Sequence?

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (04/25/91)

Hi there, You!

I know you know that I know you have a VERY SPECIAL costomized Startup-Sequence
that you modify daily (or weekly) whenever you come across a net utility or
patch (*sign*).  Some of them detach and remain as a task, and others just
change the OS codes to make it work better for you.

I have in my Startup-Sequence the following programs:  faccii, wtfpatch,
makeVportpatch, newpop, clockDJ, Xsize, NoCare, Gomf, speedup, noclick, forfacc,
mymenu, popupmenu, 3dlook, and I think that's all I can recall.  All those
utilities above in addition to some of the more relevant AmigaDos commands.

Among my favorites,

FaccII caches floppy reads into fast memory.  similar to addbuffer, it helps
	your floppy disk accessing when the same data is read more then once.
	(huh?)  ForFacc flushes this cache/buffer and give you back your
	memory when all floppy drives are empty.

WTFpatch patches the intuition bug that lock-up your system when you attempt
	a windowtofront() call when an icon is selected/active.

MakeVPortPatch patches the intution bug that sometimes locks up your system
	when you have a mixature of interlaced and non-interlaced screens.

NewPop does screen blanking (with a changing-color-Q*X pattern) and provide
	hot-keys for invoking a newCLI.  The screen blank can be switched on
	or prevented by placing your pointer in a designated corner of screen.

XSize let you size your window the XWINDOWs style.

NoCare speeds up your WorkBench window displays.

Gomf tries to fix a guru-meditation when it occurs.  Gomf is commercial.

Speedup changes the rate your floppydrive reads the floppy.  It can be used to
	speedup your floppy read/write by 2 times.

THERE!  I have revealed my centries collection of Amiga-inits.  YOUR TURN!!
:-)
--
                                                                    [unify]
   *     All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.   +

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr24.192849.12855@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

>FaccII caches floppy reads into fast memory.  similar to addbuffer, it helps
>	your floppy disk accessing when the same data is read more then once.
>	(huh?)  ForFacc flushes this cache/buffer and give you back your
>	memory when all floppy drives are empty.

FaccII, I should point out, is commercial.

>NewPop does screen blanking (with a changing-color-Q*X pattern) and provide
>	hot-keys for invoking a newCLI.  The screen blank can be switched on
>	or prevented by placing your pointer in a designated corner of screen.

I use QMouse, which is a combination screen-blanker, mouse-accelerator,
hotkey utility, and some other things like window-to-front with a double
click and window-to-back with a left-right click.  The screen blanker is
just that, a BLANKER, but that's what I want.

>Gomf tries to fix a guru-meditation when it occurs.  Gomf is commercial.

I think GOMF 1.0 was PD or shareware, but I'm not sure.

>Speedup changes the rate your floppydrive reads the floppy.  It can be used to
>	speedup your floppy read/write by 2 times.

HUH?  TWO TIMES?  What exactly does it do?

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (04/30/91)

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:

>>Speedup changes the rate your floppydrive reads the floppy.  It can be used to
>>	speedup your floppy read/write by 2 times.

>HUH?  TWO TIMES?  What exactly does it do?

	Sure.  In the doc of SpeedUp, it points out that commodore's
trackdisk.device (or something) has a un-documented place where you store
the floppy drive step-rate.  (again the docs) StepRate is the time for the
floppy drive read/write head to move from one sector to another..(if I re-
membered correctly).  Because commodore use a variaties of floppy drives
for their A500 and A2000, they slowed down the read so that the flaky drives
will work although the better drive mechnisms could actually read/write
faster without problem.  (sucks, huh?)

	Anyway, this little program will let you change the stepRate, depends
on the floppy drive you own.  trial and error will eventually let you push
your floppy to the edge, but not over the edge.

	I'll try to find the doc for it.  re-archive it, and upload it
to abcfd20 /incoming/amiga.

--

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.201147.15823@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:
>jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>
>>>Speedup changes the rate your floppydrive reads the floppy.	It can be used to
>>>	speedup your floppy read/write by 2 times.
>
>>HUH?	TWO TIMES?  What exactly does it do?
>
>	Sure.  In the doc of SpeedUp, it points out that commodore's
>trackdisk.device (or something) has a un-documented place where you store
>the floppy drive step-rate.  (again the docs) StepRate is the time for the
>floppy drive read/write head to move from one sector to another..(if I re-
>membered correctly).  Because commodore use a variaties of floppy drives
>for their A500 and A2000, they slowed down the read so that the flaky drives
>will work although the better drive mechnisms could actually read/write
>faster without problem.  (sucks, huh?)

Oh, I see...  I have a program called DFDelay which lets you change the
step delay and the settle delay.  It sounds like it's doing exactly what
Speedup is doing.

But I think your "2 times" figure is WAY off...  Let's say you halve the
step delay (I don't think it's safe to even halve it though.)  You have NOT
doubled the speed of the drive.  As a matter of fact, I doubt you've made
any noticeable difference at all.  I'm thinking about removing DFDelay from
my Startup-Sequence so as to save time loading.  I really don't know why it
even exists, because the times involved are so tiny.

If somehow Speedup is changing something other than that, let me know.