[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Commodore's hardware numbering scheme ?

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) (04/29/91)

   This is not anything to lose sleep over, but has anybody ever given
thought to Commodore's number scheme for their peripherals ? (ie A2091,
A2320,A2322, etc.)  It seems to me that certain 'types' of peripherals
can be classfied by their numerical  prefix (such as almost all monitors being
in the 1xxx classification.)  Anybody know exactly how it is done ? After
all, somebody must get paid to do it.

c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (05/01/91)

In article <266@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:

>    This is not anything to lose sleep over, but has anybody ever given
> thought to Commodore's number scheme for their peripherals ? (ie A2091,
> A2320,A2322, etc.)  It seems to me that certain 'types' of peripherals
> can be classfied by their numerical  prefix (such as almost all monitors being
> in the 1xxx classification.)  Anybody know exactly how it is done ? After
> all, somebody must get paid to do it.

Oh, I'm not from Commodore so I have no inside information but..... It's
really not that hard.

The first digit denotes the system.  If all numbers after the first digit
are zero it's the base computer itself.  Thus A500, A1000, A2000, A3000.
If non-zero digits follow, it's a peripheral intended to work with that
system.

Thus the 2620, 2320, 2332, and 2091 are intended for the A2000.  The A501,
A520, and A590 are intended to be used with A500.  The A1010, A1070, and
A1080 were originally intended for the A1000.

Similar products are grouped under the middle two digits.  The A108x's are
all NSTC/PAL monitors.  The A23xx's are, I beleive, network adapters.
The A26xx's are accelerator boards for the A2000.

When products they do not have a close association with a particular
machine are introduced,  precedence is used to determine the number.  Thus,
the A1011 and A1084 follwed the A1010 and A1080 even though the A1000 was
out of production when they were introduced.

Letters are appended to denote minor changes or bundles of existing products.
Thus the 2090A, 1084S, A3000UX, A2000HD.

There are some exceptions, of course.  The 3000T is a different motherboard
than the A3000 and is not a direct replacement.  The A2002 monitor did not
follow the precident of the A1080 (It didn't last very longer either).  I
don't know why the A1950 wasn't given a A108x designation.

Eric Edwards:  c506634 @  "I say we take off and nuke the entire site
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu  from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet      -- Sigourney Weaver, _Aliens_

In article <c506634.3260@umcvmb.missouri.edu> c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
>In article <266@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:

>>    This is not anything to lose sleep over, but has anybody ever given
>> thought to Commodore's number scheme for their peripherals ?

>Oh, I'm not from Commodore so I have no inside information but..... It's
>really not that hard.

You mean, you think we plan these things?

>The first digit denotes the system.

That is indeed true, at least for the most part.  I guess as far as AMIGA
products are concerned.  Keep in mind that some things, like monitors, are
often COMMODORE and not AMIGA, and probably not directly intended for any
specific system.

>If all numbers after the first digit are zero it's the base computer itself.
>Thus A500, A1000, A2000, A3000.

So far, at least.  Although the A2000 was almost called the A2500, and the
A3000T was almost called the A3500.  Some names are purely arbitrary to
start with, though history plays a part after it's done once.  Since "A2500"
was an A2000 with internal coprocessor slot board, I would expect that if an
A3500 ever materialized, it would be an A3000 with an internal coprocessor
board.  Than again, it's not up to us, we just design these critters.  Sales
and Marketing people, or Big Bosses on occasion, get to name them.

>If non-zero digits follow, it's a peripheral intended to work with that
>system.

That's true.

>The A23xx's are, I beleive, network adapters.
>The A26xx's are accelerator boards for the A2000.

Of course, at other times, they pick the names because they sound cool.  Like
A2088 (8088 Bridgecard), A2286 (80286 Bridgecard), and A2232 (RS-232 multiport).

>Letters are appended to denote minor changes or bundles of existing products.
>Thus the 2090A, 1084S, A3000UX, A2000HD.

Yup.  And, in lieu of a better plan, you resort to history.  So the full A2090
replacement was called A2091.  The A2620 was replaced by A2630 for obvious
reasons.  If there had been an improved A2630, it would have been called
A2630a or A2631, depending on how drastic the changes.  If it's an entirely
new thing, the aforementioned naming forces cook up something, though we can
always make suggestions if there's a logic to it.

>Eric Edwards:  c506634 @  "I say we take off and nuke the entire site

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.