[comp.sys.amiga.misc] Amiga 3000 trade up offer

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/25/91)

  I have just heard about an Amiga 3000 trade up offer. Well, actually it is
a $1500 discount for all owners of Amiga/Commodore products, and you do get
to keep your old systems. But can it be used with a student discount? For
a student discount, the cheapest Amiga is $2200. With the $1500 discount, I
think it is a little higher (not sure).

  And if you call Commodore, 1800-66-AMIGA, remember to say that you heard
about it on the internet! We need a bigger representation!

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

echadez@isis.cs.du.edu (Edward Vincent Chadez) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.152945.4520@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  I have just heard about an Amiga 3000 trade up offer. Well, actually it is
>a $1500 discount for all owners of Amiga/Commodore products, and you do get
>to keep your old systems.

Can this be true??  Does anyone have any details on this??

>  And if you call Commodore, 1800-66-AMIGA, remember to say that you heard
>about it on the internet! We need a bigger representation!

Well, I did call them...

And I spoke to a VERY nice operator, who directed me to call a couple of
dealers here in the area (Colorado).  The dealership I called was in boulder,
who told me to call back in a couple of days ;-) because Commodore *WAS*
working on something--he couldn't (wouldn't?) say what.

>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

-Ed Chadez

grmg6820@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Geoffrey R. Mason) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.182856.2665@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> echadez@isis.UUCP (Edward Vincent Chadez) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.152945.4520@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>>
>>  I have just heard about an Amiga 3000 trade up offer. Well, actually it is
>>a $1500 discount for all owners of Amiga/Commodore products, and you do get
>>to keep your old systems.
>
>Can this be true??  Does anyone have any details on this??
>

>>  And if you call Commodore, 1800-66-AMIGA, remember to say that you heard
>>about it on the internet! We need a bigger representation!
>
>Well, I did call them...
>
>And I spoke to a VERY nice operator, who directed me to call a couple of
>dealers here in the area (Colorado).  The dealership I called was in boulder,
>who told me to call back in a couple of days ;-) because Commodore *WAS*
>working on something--he couldn't (wouldn't?) say what.
>

>>--
>>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>>
>>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.
>
>-Ed Chadez

Ok!  I've got the scoop..  It is called the "Power up Program" and from what
I understand it runs through June 30th, basically what you do is bring in the
front cover of your commodore 64, 128, amiga 500, 1000, 2000, etc... manual
and its registration number and you get a significant discount for buying
a new 3000!  I was told by Commodore that these discounts can go along with
the Education discount, but the dealer I called locally said they couldn't.

Here are prices I was quoted:
	Amiga 3000 16mhz/50meg  list: $3000  powerup: $1,849
	           25mhz/50meg  list: $3500  powerup: $2,249
	           25mhz/100meg list: $4700  powerup: $3,199

I got these over the phone, so I might not be all that accurate...  Check
with 1-800-662-6442 (which is: 1-800-66-AMIGA) for the local dealer, and to
grill them about the deal.

--
Geoffrey R. Mason		|	grmg6820@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Department of Psychology	|	gmason@s.psych.uiuc.edu

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) (04/26/91)

Any chance of this 'power-up' program allso being valid in
Europe ??? (pleeeaaassssse let it be so, we don't have an educational
discount here)
      Ives Aerts           |          IBM definition SY-34378
GUTEST8@BLEKUL11.BITNET    |   A signature consists of sequences of
gutest8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be | non-blank characters separated by blanks.

In article <91116.111412GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:

>Any chance of this 'power-up' program allso being valid in
>Europe ??? (pleeeaaassssse let it be so, we don't have an educational
>discount here)

I called Commodore America and the person I spoke with said that it was only
available in America.  I would advise you to call Commodore over there and
ask them, as the person I spoke to might not have had all the information that
she might need to make an accurate statement.

--

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.201137.13744@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> grmg6820@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Geoffrey R. Mason) writes:
<
[...]

I called asking about the program and was told that the powerup discount
could not be used in conjuction with the educational discount.  I also asked
about the A3000T, but the operator had never even heard of the A3000T :-(
and had no information to offer.  (Shucks, would have liked to pick up
one o' these with this sort of discount.)  I don't remember the current
educational discount prices, but the operator told me that these powerup
discounts beat even the educational discounts.

-baron

--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (04/28/91)

]Here are prices I was quoted: [for the power-up program]
]
]I got these over the phone, so I might not be all that accurate...  Check
]with 1-800-662-6442 (which is: 1-800-66-AMIGA) for the local dealer, and to
]grill them about the deal.

Does anyone know if these prices include the monitor, or just the
keyboard/CPU?

--
Dave Schaumann      | We're so sorry, Uncle Albert.  But the kettle's
dave@cs.arizona.edu | on the boil, and we're so *easly* called away...

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.201137.13744@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> grmg6820@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Geoffrey R. Mason) writes:

>Ok!  I've got the scoop..  It is called the "Power up Program" and from what
>I understand it runs through June 30th, basically what you do is bring in the
>front cover of your commodore 64, 128, amiga 500, 1000, 2000, etc... manual
>and its registration number and you get a significant discount for buying
>a new 3000!  I was told by Commodore that these discounts can go along with
>the Education discount, but the dealer I called locally said they couldn't.
>
>Here are prices I was quoted:
>	Amiga 3000 16mhz/50meg  list: $3000  powerup: $1,849
>	           25mhz/50meg  list: $3500  powerup: $2,249
>	           25mhz/100meg list: $4700  powerup: $3,199
>
>I got these over the phone, so I might not be all that accurate...  Check
>with 1-800-662-6442 (which is: 1-800-66-AMIGA) for the local dealer, and to
>grill them about the deal.

Shouldn't that be 1-800-666-Amiga?  ;-)

Actually a more complete list, rounded to the legible dollar,

A3000	16Mhz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$1850
	25MHz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$2250
	25Mhz	5Mb	100Mb hard	$3200
	25Mhz	5Mb	200Mb hard	$3650

I'm glad to see this promotion for what it is, as well as for what it means.
Personnaly I'd rather wait for a machine that has the 2.0 ROMs in it, but
then I know of a few fools that haven't yet bought A500s for half a year now,
because they wanted to get machines with 2.0 in ROM. To each man his own
folly, I guess.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (04/29/91)

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:

>In article <1991Apr25.201137.13744@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> grmg6820@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Geoffrey R. Mason) writes:
>]Here are prices I was quoted: [for the power-up program]
>]	Amiga 3000 16mhz/50meg  list: $3000  powerup: $1,849
>]	           25mhz/50meg  list: $3500  powerup: $2,249
>]	           25mhz/100meg list: $4700  powerup: $3,199
>]

>Does anyone know if these prices include the monitor, or just the
>keyboard/CPU?

No monitor is included with the above prices.  However, the discounts
are quite substantial, and $2249.00 for a 68030/25 system is about as
low as you will find for *any* system of that caliber.

--
dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks)
Copper Electronics, Inc.

McTAG@cup.portal.com (Timothy John McTaggart) (04/29/91)

Does this trade up offer inclue the new 3000T? I would rather get the tower
3000 with it newer/more expandable case.

Tim McTaggart
(mctag@cup.portal.com)

specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) (04/29/91)

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

>Actually a more complete list, rounded to the legible dollar,

>A3000	16Mhz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$1850
>	25MHz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$2250
>	25Mhz	5Mb	100Mb hard	$3200
>	25Mhz	5Mb	200Mb hard	$3650

Just wondering, why is there a 1000$ difference between a 100mb with 5 megs
and a 50mb with 2 megs? Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

I was told by a friend (who also deals in IBM's) that he would sell me a 100
meg SCSI for around 300$ new. (around 300-400$ range). He said for the
500-600$ range I could go for a 300 meg. It seems that ram is selling for
about 75$ a meg now and 3 megs should be about 235$. So we are talking about
500$ for 3 megs and a 100 meg drive. They seem to be charging that for a
50 mb difference and 3 meg ram??? Sounds like I would order the system without
a hard drive (if available) and buy my own somewhere else..

Byron
--
 / /\ \/       \ /\ |---|  /\  /     \    |---|   /O---------------------------O
/ /  \/   /\  /_/  \_| |-------------------| |   / |The Legendary City of Frore|

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (04/30/91)

<valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
<
<Actually a more complete list, rounded to the legible dollar,
<
>A3000	16Mhz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$1850
 [...]
<	25Mhz	5Mb	200Mb hard	$3650
			^^^^^^^^^^

Is this model on the program?  I thought it was just the 16/50, 25/50, and
25/100 A3000's...

--

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.064832.9865@disk.uucp> specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>>A3000	16Mhz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$1850
>>	25MHz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$2250
>>	25Mhz	5Mb	100Mb hard	$3200
>>	25Mhz	5Mb	200Mb hard	$3650
>
>Just wondering, why is there a 1000$ difference between a 100mb with 5 megs
>and a 50mb with 2 megs? Isn't that a bit ridiculous?
>
>I was told by a friend (who also deals in IBM's) that he would sell me a 100
>meg SCSI for around 300$ new. (around 300-400$ range). He said for the
>500-600$ range I could go for a 300 meg. It seems that ram is selling for
>about 75$ a meg now and 3 megs should be about 235$. So we are talking about
>500$ for 3 megs and a 100 meg drive. They seem to be charging that for a
>50 mb difference and 3 meg ram??? Sounds like I would order the system without
>a hard drive (if available) and buy my own somewhere else..

	Well, the HD's are fast, low-profile Quantums, not el cheapo Seagates
(I've been told that 3000's equipped with seagates actually have to delay
starting up the system because the drives spin up too slowly for it... poorly
worded, but you get the idea).
	As for the memory, you're not talking about a couple of SIMMs.  You're
talking about the difference between two megs of regular ol' DIP style
80ns 32-bit RAM chips vs one meg of those plus 4 megs of 80ns Static Column
ZIPS (using the 1x4 chips, thus allowing room for 12 more megs of Fast RAM
and one more of CHIP).
	Haven't really looked at RAM prices lately other than for SC ZIPS, so
I won't argue with the price you were quoted (it sounds right to me),
but out of curiosity, what type of RAM was he talking about?  What speed
& configuration?

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (04/30/91)

In <1991Apr29.064832.9865@disk.uucp> specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:

>I was told by a friend (who also deals in IBM's) that he would sell me a 100
>meg SCSI for around 300$ new.

Not these drives, he can't.  The Amiga drives have a builtin cache,
and decent access times.  For his prices you might as well use floppies ;-).

The RAM price may seem high, but the higher numbered Amigas use page-mode
chips to work efficiently with the 68030 cache.  They are also installed,
already, and tested.  If you can beat the prices, (it is possible), then
install it yourself, you are welcome to.  After all, they will sell you
the less expensive system.  Also, remember your friend may be leaving
out any, or all, of his profit in that price, although I still don't
believe $300, or even $400, for a caching SCSI (synchronous-capable) sub-
20 MS access drive.

Dan Taylor

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/30/91)

In article <925@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:

   In <1991Apr29.064832.9865@disk.uucp> specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:

   >I was told by a friend (who also deals in IBM's) that he would
   >sell me a 100 meg SCSI for around 300$ new.
   Not these drives, he can't.  The Amiga drives have a builtin cache,
   and decent access times.  For his prices you might as well use
   floppies ;-).

Numerous mail order firms are selling Quantum 105M 28ms SCSI hard
drives in the vicinity of $350 internal/$400 external.... that's a
fine price/performance ratio as far as I'm concerned!  Not quite
monstrous speed, but since I've got a 500, who cares :)  I would post
which companies, but I don't have any copies of MacWeek handy (by now
they should be hitting Computer Shopper too).

(Anyone wanna say what speed/type/etc. of drive comes in 3000's these
days?)

Robert Jude Kudla <kudla@rpi.edu>

No more bars!  No more cages!  Just rollerskating, disco music, and
the occasional light show....

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (05/01/91)

In article <p6zg3k#@rpi.edu> kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:

>Numerous mail order firms are selling Quantum 105M 28ms SCSI hard
>drives in the vicinity of $350 internal/$400 external.... that's a
>fine price/performance ratio as far as I'm concerned!  Not quite
>(Anyone wanna say what speed/type/etc. of drive comes in 3000's these
>days?)

	Quantum 52 meg 17ms SCSI and quantum 17 ms 105 meg SCSI.  Not sure what
drive the 200 meg 3000UX ships with, but Quantum does make an ~210 meg drive,
so that's probably it.  These are the new low profile (1/2" height, I believe)
drives.

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D
    here.     with you.      DISCLAIMER:  It's all YOUR fault.

carson@cs.columbia.edu (Carson A. Gaspar) (05/01/91)

I just want to quote some figures to support the claim that
Commodore's pricing structure is way out of line, especially for
educational and developer pricing.

In article <20944@brahms.udel.edu> don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

   >valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
   >>A3000	16Mhz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$1850
   >>	25MHz	2Mb	 50MB hard	$2250
   >>	25Mhz	5Mb	100Mb hard	$3200
   >>	25Mhz	5Mb	200Mb hard	$3650
   >
   >Just wondering, why is there a 1000$ difference between a 100mb with 5 megs
   >and a 50mb with 2 megs? Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

	[Comments about quality of parts, etc. deleted]

80-ns 1Mx4 SCRAMs go for ~$35 each in quantities _I_ can buy -
Commodore had _better_ be getting better prices than this.  This gives
a price of $280/4MB.

The Quantum Prodrive 105S goes for $385 (The LPS 105S 1" drive is the
same price).  Again, I assume Commodore can get at least that price,
if not better (Come on - these prices are Quantity 1).

That means that for $2915, I can put together a 25 MHz A3000 with 150
MB of HD and 6 MB of RAM (moving the FAST to CHIP).  That's 50 MB of
HD and 1 MB of RAM more than C='s system, all for a savings of $285.

Similarly, I can add a Quantum Prodrive 210S ($740) and get a system
with 250 MB of HD / 6 MB of RAM for $3270, $380 cheaper than C='s
price for less.

Personally, I'd sell the 50MB Quantum and buy more RAM. Let's see, get
$150 for the 50 MB Quantum (reasonable, esp. new) --- That would give
me a 25 MHz 3000 with 14 MB of RAM and a 200 MB HD for $3680.  Only
$30 over C='s price and I've gotten an extra 8 MB of RAM.  Nice.

--
		     Carson Gaspar | BIX: cgaspar
		     carson@close.cs.columbia.edu

c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (05/01/91)

In article <925@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:

> In <1991Apr29.064832.9865@disk.uucp> specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>
> >I was told by a friend (who also deals in IBM's) that he would sell me a 100
> >meg SCSI for around 300$ new.
>
> Not these drives, he can't.  The Amiga drives have a builtin cache,
> and decent access times.  For his prices you might as well use floppies ;-).

Depends on how precise, "about" is.  I can most definately buy a 105 meg
quantum for $350.  Check in your nearest MacUser under "WareHouse54"

Eric Edwards:  c506634 @  "I say we take off and nuke the entire site
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu  from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet      -- Sigourney Weaver, _Aliens_

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Michael S Figg) (05/01/91)

In article <20944@brahms.udel.edu>, don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

> 	As for the memory, you're not talking about a couple of SIMMs.  You're
> talking about the difference between two megs of regular ol' DIP style
> 80ns 32-bit RAM chips vs one meg of those plus 4 megs of 80ns Static Column
> ZIPS (using the 1x4 chips, thus allowing room for 12 more megs of Fast RAM
> and one more of CHIP).

Just a few questions with regards to memory on the 3000.

How much memory can the 3000 handle without additional hardware, except the
chips themselves. What is an average price for a meg and how many chips are
needed ?  Are they easy to install?

Thanks for the help.

---Mike,

--
 --------       o       A herd of bagels      | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 |      |  --  oo o o   escaping from a deli. | DLA Systems Automation Center
 |      |  -- ooo oo    Looking for Lox in    | Cols, Ohio mfigg@dsac.dla.mil
 --------      o o      all the wrong places  | CIS: 73777,360

David_Wong@resbbs.UUCP (David Wong) (05/01/91)

When one walks into their local Amiga dealer with the front cover of the
Commodore 64 manual and its registration number to purchase an A3000, does
the
A3000 come directly from the dealer's stock immediately or must one wait for
Commodore to ship the A3000? Basically, I'd like to know the waiting time to
get an A3000. Thanks.

--
david_wong@resbbs.wimsey.bc.ca

-- Via DLG Pro v.95 Beta

--
David_Wong@resbbs.UUCP

mac1@ra.MsState.Edu (Cheema) (05/02/91)

David_Wong@resbbs.UUCP (David Wong) writes:

>When one walks into their local Amiga dealer with the front cover of the
>Commodore 64 manual and its registration number to purchase an A3000, does
>the
>A3000 come directly from the dealer's stock immediately or must one wait for
>Commodore to ship the A3000? Basically, I'd like to know the waiting time to
>get an A3000. Thanks.

   I don't know about if you have to wait or not, but waiting is LLLLLLONGGGGG.
  To me it doesn't matter  asI am rest assured that I am getting the genuine
 thing original, never unpacked and with latest hardware modofications possible
    -Cheema

briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) (05/02/91)

In article <David_Wong.3432@resbbs.UUCP> David_Wong@resbbs.UUCP (David Wong) writes:
>When one walks into their local Amiga dealer with the front cover of the
>Commodore 64 manual and its registration number to purchase an A3000, does
>the
>A3000 come directly from the dealer's stock immediately or must one wait for
>Commodore to ship the A3000? Basically, I'd like to know the waiting time to
>get an A3000. Thanks.

My dealer told me I could get one today!  In other words, from his stock.
He also said he something like   the A3000 16/50 (16 Mhz, 50 meg drive) was
no longer available.   Wheter he ment in his stock or from Commodore in the
power up program, I don't know.  He made it sound like it was from
Commodore.  Who knows.  I want the 25Mhz anyway.

Brian.

  Brian Gragg    briang@sdd.hp.com   hp-sdd!briang  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!briang

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (05/02/91)

|>I was told by a friend (who also deals in IBM's) that he would sell me a 100
|>meg SCSI for around 300$ new.

|Not these drives, he can't.  The Amiga drives have a builtin cache,
|and decent access times.  For his prices you might as well use floppies ;-).

Well, I just bought a Quantum Pro 105s for $349, so he can't be far off...

--Leon

styrrell@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Simon Tyrrell) (05/03/91)

In <91116.111412GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:

>Any chance of this 'power-up' program allso being valid in
>Europe ??? (pleeeaaassssse let it be so, we don't have an educational
>discount here)

I live in South Africa and intend to buy the A3000/25.Does anyone know if
that 'Power-Up' deal is available for people importing from the UK? This
would really help me as my budget is being strained to the limit with the
A3000s current price (about R20000).

Thanks in advance,

Myron :-)

kenny@mazurka.UUCP (Kenneth Yarnall) (05/04/91)

In article <3188@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Michael S Figg) writes:
>In article <20944@brahms.udel.edu>, don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
>>
>> 	As for the memory, you're not talking about a couple of SIMMs.  You're
>> talking about the difference between two megs of regular ol' DIP style
>> 80ns 32-bit RAM chips vs one meg of those plus 4 megs of 80ns Static Column
>> ZIPS (using the 1x4 chips, thus allowing room for 12 more megs of Fast RAM
>> and one more of CHIP).
>
>Just a few questions with regards to memory on the 3000.
>
>How much memory can the 3000 handle without additional hardware, except the
>chips themselves. What is an average price for a meg and how many chips are
>needed ?  Are they easy to install?

The  3000 can handle up to 2 meg of chip RAM and 16 meg of fast RAM on the
motherboard, with no additional hardware.  To get this much, you need to buy
1meg x 4 ZIPS, so I guess 32 total.  You can also use cheaper 256k x 4 ZIPS,
but then you can only get 4 meg on the mommaboard this way (still, plus 2
meg chip RAM...).

--
     Ken Yarnall                 ///   kenny%mazurka@opusc.csd.scarolina.EDU
      Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@usceast.cs.scarolina.EDU